Shore Lunch

BigCityBubba

This maybe a stupid question and if it is it isn't the first or last but I have always wanted to pull off on a gravel bar on the Caney and make a shore lunch out of some of the trout I caught. Is that legal? Do you have to wait until you get off the water, then clean the fish, and then take it somewhere else and eat it? I have always wondered how the law applies when it comes to fish with creel and size limits.

TAFKAP

As I understand the spirit & rule of the law with hunting bag limits, TWRA doesn't consider it legal and sporting to make a field meal out of your daily bag. It seems that they consider it a possibility to eat into your bag limit. Eat (5) dove in the field, you have (10) in pocket, you can just keep eating your way through.

I would expect fishing to be the same, even if you're respecting daily creel limits.

You could also be trespassing by picnicking on the bank.

Just my thoughts, which don't carry the rule of law. But I'd say it's probably not a good idea unless you're legally camping, and actively not fishing through. Make sense?

Lt.Dan

In the day and age of cell phones I would think an honest person could take a pic of a legal fish with proof of length. Then consume it. Keeping it in the talley for the daily limit. If done that way, and checked by a warden, I would think it would get a pass. But I'm not a warden, just an honest person who also enjoys a shore lunch.