Shooting Rails

Mike Belt

What's your thoughts on stands with shooting rails? All of mine have them although some are removable. I don't like them for archery but I won't do without them during rifle. Some of the places I hunt afford long shots and I don't like shooting off handed much beyond 150 yards. I also spend a lot of hours on stand rifle hunting and like to keep my rifle laying across the rails.

Matador

I don't like taking off hand shots, so I like shooting rails. I find that most shooting rails are a little too low so I take one of the portable adjusting shooting sticks with me that I can brace against the shooting rail. That gives me that extra 5-6 inches of height. I don't feel like I'm all hunkered over and I personally feel more comfortabe with the shot.

Pic IN the Casa

Matador":1rtr3h6x said:
I don't like taking off hand shots, so I like shooting rails. I find that most shooting rails are a little too low so I take one of the portable adjusting shooting sticks with me that I can brace against the shooting rail. That gives me that extra 5-6 inches of height. I don't feel like I'm all hunkered over and I personally feel more comfortabe with the shot.

This! My rails on my two man stands look like something from Sanford and Son. I tie a shooting stick to rails. I also have drilled holes and bolted padded U holders (for garages to hang bikes etc...) so I can set my rifle or crossbow in. I have also gone as far as tying a Mr. Buddy Heater to the rails on really cold days when hunting with my son.

On top of all of that, even though I wear a harness if I doze off too heavy I'm hoping the rail will stop me from falling too forward. :)

I've thought about bending each length of the rail that's attached to the hand rails with a pipe bender to raise the height.

Rackseeker

A shooting rail is a must for firearm stands. I hunted with a outfitter out west once, none of their stands had shooting rails. It drove me crazy sitting there glassing long distances and being able to shoot unlimited distances in all directions with out shooting rails.

DMD

Yep - as others have said - to me, Shooting rail is a necessity AND MOST are inadequate from the factory. One thing I have done to raise the height is to carry an adjustable shooting stick - just a $10 from Walmart. I use the shooting stick to "prop up" the shooting rail while I am hunting in that stand. Works well, easy to do.

Vermin93

My climber has a removable shooting rail. If I'm hunting from a tree with long distance potential then I put it on. If I'm hunting in the thick stuff then I take it off. None of my hang on stands have a shooting rail. In those I use an adjustable shooting stick that secures to my foot for added stability.

bulld

pipe insulators are a good way to quiet metal rails or replace worn out padding cheap, and I agree they are a staple for ethical hunting

Latest posts