Shed Question

Rob-HC Hunter

Found this shed in a 100 plus acre picked bean field yesterday. I'm positive that this horn wasn't there two weekends ago. The horn is very white and doesn't have any chew marks from rodents. My hunting buddy swears that this is last years shed because of the coloration and weight. I believe it is this years shed. Any opinions from the expert shed hunters?

4a6b049beee2bd56f9c8b9347266ab62.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

tree_ghost

Re: Shed Question

The pedicle looks way to dark to be fresh. Often times when you find them fresh they are bone white at the pedicle and even have a little blood on them occasionally. IMO it's last years shed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rob-HC Hunter

Thanks for the feedback. Something must have found it in the woods and dropped it in the field. I thought it would be uncommon to find a year old shed with no damage.

G2 is over 10" btw.

TN Whitetail Freak

Vision how it layed when you found it. Now think if you was a farmer and tilled and planted the field it was in could it have ended up the way you found it....even with no till practices? I'M gonna venture to say it was this years shed

catman529

It's last year's, the pedicle is dark. Could have been carried by a coyote or you just never noticed it before.

elknturkey

Deleted. After looking closer I'm not sure. The stained ends were screaming last year but being on a plowed field that could be mud stained. The burr doesn't look dried out. Can you see any bit of the wax ring left around the burr.
Not all burrs are white. In fact I've never found a fresh shed with a snow white burr. This is the wax ring. If it has any left it's deff this year.

f875b66604fa3694a403f6297934a352.jpg

Rob-HC Hunter

TN Whitetail Freak":2mjss0ux said:
Vision how it layed when you found it. Now think if you was a farmer and tilled and planted the field it was in could it have ended up the way you found it....even with no till practices? I'M gonna venture to say it was this years shed

It was laying with the tines down but sticking up enough to be fully visible. I often hunted this area an would have noticed these horn. If they were from last year they would have transported by a dog or coyote.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

catman529

elknturkey":2ihs4flw said:
Deleted. After looking closer I'm not sure. The stained ends were screaming last year but being on a plowed field that could be mud stained. The burr doesn't look dried out. Can you see any bit of the wax ring left around the burr.
Not all burrs are white. In fact I've never found a fresh shed with a snow white burr. This is the wax ring. If it has any left it's deff this year.

all my fresh sheds have the whitest pedicles. Ones from last year or older have dark pedicles and varying degrees of bleaching from the sun and dirt stain where the antler sat in the dirt. The wax ring is a pretty good indicator of freshness but with such a dark stained pedicle I have to say it is not from this year. Plus it looks bleached to me, and the tips of the tines are pretty well stained from sitting in the dirt so long.

DRSJ35

im gonna try to find some this year.not sure when the best time of year to look is.i guess this month and next

elknturkey

catman529":wu3xc987 said:
elknturkey":wu3xc987 said:

all my fresh sheds have the whitest pedicles. Ones from last year or older have dark pedicles and varying degrees of bleaching from the sun and dirt stain where the antler sat in the dirt. The wax ring is a pretty good indicator of freshness but with such a dark stained pedicle I have to say it is not from this year. Plus it looks bleached to me, and the tips of the tines are pretty well stained from sitting in the dirt so long.

Yep the stained tips and bleached beam are what threw me but it could have just been a white horned deer and I wouldn't think mud would take too long to stain. That's usually what year old sheds look like that I find but have never found one in mud before

catman529

I'd have to set one in the mud for a while to be sure but I'm guessing those stains take longer than a month or two (the longest there could be a fresh shed this year) I still think it's an old shed and given the way they can "hide" it's possible it was never seen but was there the whole time. And still possible a dog or yote carried it there.

Rob-HC Hunter

catman529":2yt8zlox said:
elknturkey":2yt8zlox said:
Can you see any bit of the wax ring left around the burr.

816015411144f65eaa43777865664be1.jpg

It doesn't appear to have a wax ring.

catman529

Rob-HC Hunter":1m8b8qqr said:
catman529":1m8b8qqr said:
elknturkey":1m8b8qqr said:
Can you see any bit of the wax ring left around the burr.

816015411144f65eaa43777865664be1.jpg

It doesn't appear to have a wax ring.

Yea definitely an old shed. You can also see the brown on the side of the burr facing the ground but it's bleached out on the side facing the elements. It's been sitting a while, whether it was dragged into the field recently or not we may never know.

elknturkey

I'm going to have to go with last year's shed. Pedicle has too much "age" for me to say it's recent. That's an interesting find for sure and I could be wrong but congrats! I love hunting sheds as much as deer

Latest posts