Sentimental

PJones

The Good Lord called my Grandaddy home this past year. My Mother was going through things, there was a note with this duck fixture stating that my He wanted me to have it. It prolly is not worth much to anyone but it's priceless to me. It got me to wondering... what are some things that have been passed down to you that are sentimental?

Attachments

• C8372311-28EE-4EA0-A9A3-D49E43FBB5C1.jpeg
    C8372311-28EE-4EA0-A9A3-D49E43FBB5C1.jpeg
    778.9 KB · Views: 91

Hduke86

My old boss that worked at the same place where I do for 40 years left me his bible that he kept at work and read daily and I was always bugging him about his key ring holder that he wore on his belt so he left me that also when he retired lol and that's been 10 years ago and to this day I still wear the key ring holder for all my work keys and have his "work bible" in my locker

woodyard

I have several things from my dad who passed away in 1968. Shotguns, and other things. The one that means the most to me is the whistle he used working the bird dogs. I still remember Thanksgiving day quail hunts when I was just big enough to keep up.

I had a duck call or two that was his that i gave to my nephew a few years ago since he was crazy about duck hunting. He never knew his grandad since he passed away before he was born.

I also have some check book stubs that belonged to my grandaddy whom I never knew since he passed before I was born. Not worth anything to anybody else but means a lot to me , a lot of history about his life in there.

Got several things from one of my grandmothers and a couple of uncles. Precious memories!

DoubleRidge

From one grandfather I was given a Foxfire book and inside it I found a handwritten note from him to me....short note...to the point....but very special to me...... From my other grandfather I was given a swivel breech double barrel flint lock rifle that he purchased after the war while in Germany.

jag1

My dad passed when I was 14. I got several of his guns, 35 marlin (which I treasure) and a 16 gauge Remington sportsman, looks like a Browning. Shot my first deer as did my daughter with it. Also, got the old "Civil War" rifle I wrote about in another thread.
But the thing I treasure most is his Bible. His mother, my Mawmaw, gave him Bible when he was a young boy and she gave me my first Bible when I was a young boy. Written inside BOTH of them, many years apart were these words: Let this Book be your Guide through life.

scn

My uncle passed on my Grandfather's double barrel shotgun that uses hammers and "pins" in the shells to me a few years ago. It stays in the safe as it is priceless to me. My Grandfather passed before I was born, but from all accounts was a heck of a man.

Not really passed down, but I am sitting here looking at a Christmas tree colored Whopper Stopper lure my next door neighbor gave me when I was 3-4 years old. It hangs off of a picture of me at three with my arms around two large mountain deer Mark and his buddy killed up in the WNC mountains. Since my Dad wasn't a hunter or a fisherman, I got my "start" from this larger than life gentleman. The lure and picture are now faded, sort of like I am, but still mean the world to me.

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
Belgium made Browning 22 auto that I have since passed on to my son.
Remington 1100 20 gauge, still looks like it came out of the box. The only thing I ever saw my dad kill in my life was a rabbit and he used that gun to do it. Still remember that day like it was yesterday.

Oddly enough, his barber tools probably mean more than anything.
He didn't really pass them down, more so, after he died I took them home with me.
I open it every once in a while just to smell that smell that comes from the inside.
I hated getting my hair cut as I was usually outside playing or whatever and he would whistle and I knew it was time to get one. I would go in the work shop and he would cut it and of course I was all hot and sweaty and that hair would be all over my back. LOL

Woo weeee what I would give to sit on that stool just one more time. :(

Coltens

I had a grandfather that passed away before I was born but I have his old rocking chair and a baseball glove from when he played ball. They are both priceless. My other granddad is still living but he has given me a Gibson J45 and a few Bibles that I will never get rid of. Just need to learn how to play the guitar now.

prstide

The Good Lord called my Grandaddy home this past year. My Mother was going through things, there was a note with this duck fixture stating that my He wanted me to have it. It prolly is not worth much to anyone but it's priceless to me. It got me to wondering... what are some things that have been passed down to you that are sentimental?
Looks like a Royal Doulton ceramic piece. Good story and right to be cherished

Gravey

One of my grandfathers Case pocket knives. Carry it every day. He was the church treasurer my entire life and another man helped him. He was a single guy that never married and I spent lots of time in the back of the church with them. His name was Sam Baker and when he died he left a .32 caliber pistol to my grandfather. When my grandfather died my mom asked if there was anything I wanted and I said one of his knives and that pistol. It probably ain't worth much and I've never fired it and more than likely never will. Also have 2 Belgium made Brownings that belonged to my other grandfather. One is a Sweet Sixteen and the other a Light Twelve.

rukiddin

I have several things from my dad who passed away in 1968. Shotguns, and other things. The one that means the most to me is the whistle he used working the bird dogs. I still remember Thanksgiving day quail hunts when I was just big enough to keep up.

I had a duck call or two that was his that i gave to my nephew a few years ago since he was crazy about duck hunting. He never knew his grandad since he passed away before he was born.

I also have some check book stubs that belonged to my grandaddy whom I never knew since he passed before I was born. Not worth anything to anybody else but means a lot to me , a lot of history about his life in there.

Got several things from one of my grandmothers and a couple of uncles. Precious memories!

my grandfatger was really big into bird dog field trials and English pointers. He was breeder of a dog in the hall of fame Grand Junction.
Like you, I also have his old lanyard with his old whistles he used working his bird dogs. I still use those whistles with my retriever and flushing dog. They're nothing special. Just look like two old whistles on a wore out old lanyard. They even have the old snuff stains around them from where he blew them with a pinch of that old powdered snuff he used. But money could not buy those whistles!!!!!!!

Latest posts