Sent to prison over twenty .300 WinchesterBullets

Locksley

Kind of a harsh penalty don't ya think ?

-----------------------------
Commercial Appeal Story

MOSCOW -- A Moscow court on Monday convicted a U.S. pastor of smuggling hunting ammunition into Russia and sentenced him to more than three years in prison.

Phillip Miles, of South Carolina, has been in custody since his arrest Feb. 3, several days after arriving in Moscow. The court sentenced him to serve three years and two months in prison, with time calculated from his detention date.

Miles has said he brought the .300-caliber cartridges for a friend who had bought a Winchester rifle -- a gun found rarely in Russia. He said he did not know bringing such ammunition was illegal.

Judge Olga Drozdova accepted in her 20-minute summation that Miles had brought the ammunition for a friend, "as they are both inveterate hunters." But she said the court could not condone ignorance of Russian customs regulations and noted Miles had visited the country more than 10 times.

The 20 cartridges were not initially found when he flew into Moscow. They were detected later as airport security put his luggage through an X-ray machine while he was on his way to check in for a flight to Perm, in Siberia.

"It's a strange sentence for one box of hunting bullets," Miles, wearing a gray jacket and clerical collar, said as court bailiffs led him away from the courtroom cage for defendants in criminal trials in Russia.

His lawyer, Vladimir Ryakhovsky, said the sentence was surprisingly severe and the conviction for smuggling was unfounded as his client had acted without any intent to break the law.

An appeal will be filed within 10 days, he said.

Miles is pastor of Christ Community Church in Conway, S.C. The church's Web site says it is affiliated with Evangel Fellowship International, which lists evangelism as one of its goals.

Ryakhovsky said the court also failed to take into account Miles' reputation as a pastor and humanitarian who spent years working in Russia.

"How can there be talk of isolating him from society considering his reputation has been characterized positively, considering that he has never been in a situation like this before?" Ryakhovsky asked.

http://www.msdeer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2815

4onaside

First of all, the preacher must not be playing with a full deck!He did not know that bringing ammo into a communist country was illegal? Duh? I wonder what our government's reaction would be if a middle eastern type was caught coming into the US with concealed ammo? I think something similar to what Rev. Miles is experiencing. Hopefully, he will not serve the time as sentenced, because it appears that his only real crime is one of stupidity.

Locksley

IT KILLS ME HOW HARSH OTHER COUNTRIES ARE ON AMERICANS.it appears that his only real crime is one of stupidity. Solution is not to hunt in Russia or any other country , simple solution .

Kimber45

He definately should have checked the Regulations on bringing ammo, however, 3 yrs in Prison! I too have to question his intelligence yet again I question getting 3-years for stupidity..! Are they nuts? Are they sending a message? What is their thought process here?

BlevConsult

4onaside said:
First of all, the preacher must not be playing with a full deck!He did not know that bringing ammo into a communist country was illegal? Duh? I wonder what our government's reaction would be if a middle eastern type was caught coming into the US with concealed ammo? I think something similar to what Rev. Miles is experiencing. Hopefully, he will not serve the time as sentenced, because it appears that his only real crime is one of stupidity.

You sir, are a idiot.

Latest posts