Sold/Expired Sellin my squirrel gun .. SW PC .460 Magnum W/Leupold

gasman

Hunter 257W

I have to ask in all seriousness, no insult intended, what on earth is that fastened on the end of the barrel? Some sort of gas diverting recoil reducer I assume, but the length is what is throwing me off. Possibly putting the compensator way out there gives it more leverage and also adds weight further out to make it more efficient in reducing muzzle climb? Never seen anything like that before. Never seen anybody who owned a S&W 460 before either now that I think of it. :)

Last edited:
I have to ask in all seriousness, no insult intended, what on earth is that fastened on the end of the barrel? Some sort of gas diverting recoil reducer I assume, but the length is what is throwing me off. Never seen anything like that before. Never seen anybody who owned a S&W 460 before either now that I think of it.
You've never seen a muzzle break before?

Hunter 257W

Not one that was longer than the gun. :) They are usually just long enough for the threads then the ports. That's why I was wondering if they were trying to accomplish something else while the bullet passed through such a long tube.

FLTENNHUNTER1

Not one that was longer than the gun. :) They are usually just long enough for the threads then the ports. That's why I was wondering if they were trying to accomplish something else while the bullet passed through such a long tube.
I believe you are looking at the fluted barrel and not just the muzzle break.

Hunter 257W

No, blown up on a large computer screen but I think I figured it out The gun is made like the old Dan Wesson revolvers where the obvious part that looks like a barrel is merely a hollow shroud held against the frame by the round barrel nut and the entire tube, which is fluted on the front end only is the actual barrel. Right?

I recall when the 460 S&W came out being amazed by the 180 grain load in particular when considering that it almost reached the velocity a 30-06 could with that same weight. In fact it was the velocity the original 30-06 loads had.

BMan

I have a flashlight that looks exactly like that fluted barrel. Different caliber, though. :D

I pity the fool squirrel that gets hit with that thing.

Kimber45

No, blown up on a large computer screen but I think I figured it out The gun is made like the old Dan Wesson revolvers where the obvious part that looks like a barrel is merely a hollow shroud held against the frame by the round barrel nut and the entire tube, which is fluted on the front end only is the actual barrel. Right?

I recall when the 460 S&W came out being amazed by the 180 grain load in particular when considering that it almost reached the velocity a 30-06 could with that same weight. In fact it was the velocity the original 30-06 loads had.
Actually rifled all the way to the brake

Latest posts