Second rut / fawns coming in?

Winchester

Anybody seeing much of either? Reason I ask is because I was in Mid TN last wknd (Humphries/Hickman area) and in just 2 days in the woods saw 3 different bucks with fawns. I have yet to see any sign of a 2nd rut or any fawns in heat here in east TN as of yet. Heck we barely had a visible first rut let alone a second one? Just wondering if anybody else especially in that area was seeing any of the same?

BSK

Winchester,

I haven't hunted since the weekend after Thanksgiving, but looking at trail-cam pictures, yes it appears we had a fairly strong 2nd rut on my place in Humphreys County. It occurred right on schedule Dec. 9-17.

One of the strangest years I can remember. On trail-camera, I observed an unbelievably wild false rut in October, then when it came time for the "primary" rut, I saw nothing in person or on camera that looked like the peak of the rut. However, on camera, I observed a classic rut right on schedule for a 2nd rut. Don't know what to say...

But if anyone remembers, back in October I posted that I was worried about how intense the rut was going to be this year, because of how intense the false rut was. The last time I observed an incredibly wild false rut, we observed no rutting activity during the "normal" peak of breeding time. This year matched that pattern. All that said, I have no data suggesting the peak of breeding DIDN'T occur at the normal time, and even if I did, I would have no biological explanation for why a weird rut timing would occur this year.

Jmed

I remember that prediction. I also remember the long-term weather forecast and it was about spot on.

I did see a good early- mid November rut at my place on the northern plateau. But, the best camera pics I got all year were in that 12/9-12/15 time frame. Got pics of mature bucks on does hard at all hours of the day.

After hearing everyone else, I am thankful for the fact that we did get a decent November rut

woodsman87

I killed a nice 3-1/2year old with a doe they day before thanksgiving, which is normal for my area. But what was unusual for my area is that I never really saw any other rut activity, even with yearling bucks. During mid-late October I witnessed a couple of times yearling bucks sparring and chasing does several times.

As of this week, I saw some bucks with does, trying to smell them but not really chasing them. Haven't really hunted enough to know about rut status now. Also haven't checked my camera in about a month.

Mike Belt

I keep watching for that to happen but haven't seen it yet. Since I missed seeing anything the first round I'd really like to see a good chase.

BSK

Mike Belt said:
I keep watching for that to happen but haven't seen it yet. Since I missed seeing anything the first round I'd really like to see a good chase.

Watch for it 30 days after when your normal peak time is.

duckriver

We saw lots of 2 and 3 year olds chasing first week of muzzloader through opening weekend of gun. The 3 year olds we killed then where chasing late morning through early afternoon. The 3 year old I killed Monday afternoon this week was by himself eating in a cut bean field right at dark. With 9 does about 300 yards away on other end of field and he never even scent checked them. And since his horns pulled off when I went to drag him out I think even the 2nd rut has passed here on my farm. Hickman County

Stickay03

I hunted today in Giles County - three does came running in (2 small ones and a big one) followed by a small 8 point chasing. I waited awhile hoping for another to come along but no luck - all 4 of them laid down infront of me and appeared to have been taking a nap. That was around 10ish... I moved to another spot around noon and before long 2 more does came running in being chased by a spike - an hour later a 4 point came down the same trail they took and that was that! No shooters but they are definitely chasing here

BSK

duckriver said:
We saw lots of 2 and 3 year olds chasing first week of muzzloader through opening weekend of gun. The 3 year olds we killed then where chasing late morning through early afternoon. The 3 year old I killed Monday afternoon this week was by himself eating in a cut bean field right at dark. With 9 does about 300 yards away on other end of field and he never even scent checked them. And since his horns pulled off when I went to drag him out I think even the 2nd rut has passed here on my farm. Hickman County

If you're in the northern half of Hickman County, the peak of breeding normally is mid to late November (somewhere around Nov. 15-25), which would put your 2nd rut somewhere around those same days in December. So yes, if you're in the northern half of the county, you're right, even the 2nd rut is over.

But that buck having such loose antlers already is a real concern.

Rackseeker

I have hunted hard this year and haven't seen any bucks chasing does until last week. I sat on stand for 12 hours today. Got in my stand at 4:50am and climbed down at 5:00pm. I had several deer come by before daylight. Had two doe come by around 7am, one of them acted like she was in heat. She stayed behind the other doe but she kept her tail straight out. Right behind them was a 115"-120" 8 pt. He had his nose on the ground following same trail the does did. Then at 8:30 had a spike come by chasing a doe, grunting every other step. Seen several does through out the morning then had a different chocolate rack 8pt following the same trail the spike had chased the other doe. Didn't see a deer after 11:30.

duckriver

BSK

This is the deer. I spoke with the retired game warden for my county today. He said that he thinks he was a main breeder for the area and basically wore himself out early. We do have several does. I'm on the south side of the river. Your and everybody's else's thoughts?

BSK

The game warden is probably correct. Heavy breeding activity can put far more stress on bucks than people could imagine. It is not uncommon to see an older buck lose 30% of his body weight in just 6 weeks during the rut. For a 200 lb buck, that's losing 60 lbs in 6 weeks! This extreme physical stress can also cause them to drop antlers very early (as in, right at the tail end of the rut).

On one research project I worked, with a nutritionally stressed deer herd that had a peak breeding centered around Nov. 4 or 5, most bucks were dropping antlers in mid-December. However, once we got the herd and habitat in good shape, those same bucks were carrying antlers until March and April.

BSK

bbuck14 said:
Best chase I've seen this season is 2 dogs after a cat!

HA! Too funny!

But sorry to hear of your lack of success. We did OK harvest-wise, but not one of the hunters on my property saw the first chase this year, and we were hunting during what is normally peak breeding. And with a sex ratio heavily favoring bucks (0.6 does per buck) and a buck age structure that has 1 in every 10 bucks being 4 1/2+, we usually see a pretty visible rut!

Mike Belt

I suppose a well balanced sex ration makes for healthier deer in the long run but it sure shortens the rutting action you might see....or don't. I also guess it's in how you define intense but the intensity of the rut seems lower than when the sexual balance heavily favored does. It really lends credence to the saying right place, right time.