Season Success Question

hunt4646

No change for me. I am interested in meat for the freezer. I did limit out with two bucks age 2 1/2. Many hunters I talk to are taking a doe rather than 2nd buck. Holding the option of large buck toward end of season. In Bedford county, some hunters are not seeing nearly as many older bucks this year.

Snake

I quit a lot sooner than years past because I have tagged out . A broke up 9 point I may have passed if I had the chance to study some but I didn't get that chance because I had to shoot at him running . I probably would have shot him any way but you never know because his main beam on one side was broke so he may have got a pass . No use crying over spilt milk , thank the Lord for my kill and was pleased . Pretty decent season could have killed a deer most sets but deer activity was down at our place due to mast failure .

BlackBelt

I tagged out early with a 7 pt and an 8 pt.
I really wish the limit was back to 3.

What the reduced limit has done to me is make me lose a LOT of passion for hunting in TN and has severely curbed my conservation efforts here overall.

The $$$ I was spending in TN before the limit reduction are now being spent in MS and AR.
I know 3 other guys that have done the same thing this year for the same reason, so I know there are bound to be hundreds more across the state taking hunting related dollars out of state.
Its just like any other business...if people can not get what they want here they will take their business elsewhere.
I dont know if the people that changed the limit regulation took the economic impact of money leaving the state into their decision making process, but I know it affects the business community to a certain degree.

MUP

Didn't affect me I don't reckon. Killed 1 good 8 of at least 3-1/2 yrs of age, and let two more 8's and some smaller ones walk. Very low sightings tho for whatever reason, and no buck sign that I could find whatsoever. And I still support the former 3 buck limit for those who chose, and could kill them, even tho I don't bc of my personal choice of what to take.

Bone Collector

I guess it only effected me on opening morning. I passed a 1.5 yr old 6 pt, that would have eaten just as good as a doe. I like to get a deer on opening day. I don't care if I can shoot a doe or that I live in Unit L and will probably see a bunch of deer before the season closes, or that I know with a little effort I can kill a few does. I also don't care that I "don't need to" kill a small buck for those reasons. If I'm on Public land that I have 0 control over who hunts it, I am not managing that piece of land.

Now for the rest of the season out there after opening day and on my private places, it had no effect on my hunting.

ruger7mag

2-Step Enabled
It has been an awesome year for my dad and I! We both tagged out by around thanksgiving. The new 2 buck limit changed up my season a lot. After killing a 3 1/2 year old 8 point on opening day of bow season, I didn't hunt again until muzzleloader. I didn't want to be tagged out before the rut came. Once muzzleloader season opened, I started going again and passed up several small bucks and a 4 1/2 year old 8 point. The 2 buck limit saved that deer. I ended up killing a 4 1/2 year old 8 during rifle season. After killing that deer, I quit going again, except to take my wife. Normally I'm still hunting hard right now, but with no room in the freezer and no buck tags, I don't have the motivation to go. I was in favor of the 2 buck limit from the start, and I still am.

Hollar Hunter

I think there's good and bad to it like anything. The good is I know of several hunters I heard say if I'd of had 3 tags he would of died... Which in those cases I'm pretty sure it saved 1.5 to 3.5 yr old bucks. The bad for me is I've never had to worry about being tagged out when having three tags. We manage our land and shoot only 4.5 plus except for the occasional kid which is whatever makes him happy. This year I killed a buck on opening morning of Muzzle that I'd been trying to kill for the second year now. That was awesome and I'm very grateful. The second Saturday of muzzleloader I had another buck on my list a mid 130's 10pt come right in and circled me at about 50-60yds for a couple minutes. I honestly put the crosshairs on him 4 or 5 times and even started to squeeze, but every time I'd think this is it, no more buck hunting and I'd lower the gun. I'd look at the buck and think SHOOT and I'd find him settle the crosshairs just to catch myself lowering the gun again. I know of a few bucks we have and they are quite a bit bigger. Hind site always being 20/20 I'd of shot him and spent the rest of the last month fishing had I known we'd get all this crap weather! Everybody's pros and cons are going to be different depending on their hunting situation and goals. I'm just going to have to really be more mentally prepared if I'm lucky enough to take a mature buck early in the year again next season to be tagged out if the opportunity presents itself...

The deer I let walk

redhunterZ71

Worst year ever for me and I've hunted almost 30 years. Havnt seen a shooter all year and havnt seen many deer period. We're not even hearing many shots this year. The two biggest I've seen this year were 7 pointers and I wouldn't of shot under the 3 buck limit so it hasn't changed nothing for me.

Latest posts