Scope vs Red dot

Rakkin6

I have a Burris FF3 on my 835 and a Vortex venom on my 535. Love them both, they are low profile, lightweight and they both have long battery life. Never had any issues with either of them. They both have stood up to shooting 12 gauge 3" Winchester Longbeards XR shells without losing zero.

MR Yote

Might look into a good set of irons with fiber optic that mount on rib. I have some on my SX3 & really like em. $50 think what I paid for em. Good luck whatever you decide on.

Southern Sportsman

Burris FFIII. Vortex Venom is also excellent, but a little pricier and the differences are basically negligible.

There may be a legitimate argument for a scope over a reflex sight (Burris/Vortex). But I don't know what it would be.

tnanh

I have and like both. I have ff3 and a couple of simmons pro diamonds. Only thing I can tell you is go as light as possible. This is not just for carry weight. The heavier the optic the more rings and bases loosen and break under heavy recoil. This is from personal experience. I had a single shot 12 break the base screws completely off after putting a scope on it. Had been shooting trs 25 on it for a couple of years with no problems. Sorry about the bold type in beginning. Wasnt intended to yell.

REN

MY OPINION i dont like actual scopes at all on shotguns. Just dont like the weight and dealing with them getting bumped or off. I also dont like lack to quickly getting on target or the inability to shoot from odd positions. Im sure there are some pros to using them but personally the cons outweigh the pros for how I like to hunt.

I also DO NOT like tube style red dots for a lot of the same reasons. Mainly on them I hate the sight picture of them .

I run a FF3 on both my guns and have for a few years and really like them. Have had no issues with them getting off target and Im tough on guns. I personally like the burris but now there are a lot of options that copied them that im sure are just as good like the leupold, vortex and sig.

deerfever

I have red dot and the reflex type. I have used a cheap 30 dollar Tasco that has worked well for me It's not failed me yet. My favorite is the reflex type , I have a Two swamp fox kingslayers in the green circle dot they are small and easy to deal with and I like the green better than red . I absolutely love them but obviously they are more money. I have no experience with a normal scope for turkey hunting but do not think I would switch after using the others. I have had 0 issues.

Chief44

Another vote for the Burris fast fire 3. I've got em on a few guns and love them. Put the dot on his head and pull the trigger. I've ran them on turkey guns, magnum handguns and 45/70 rifles. Never had a problem. I would suggest the 3 MOA version.

TnTurk

I'm scoped as well and had zero problems since I mounted it almost 10 years ago but if I had to replace it for some reason, I would put a FF3 on it and call it good.

Granddaddy

Have never seen the need for a scope or red dot on a shotgun. I've come to appreciate a red dot/green dot on my ARs & pistols. But turkey hunting, too much chance of knocking the sight off line, battery dying or some other malfunction, etc IMO. A good fiber optics front sight more reliable & just as effective in all lighting conditions.

Southern Sportsman

Anybody that prefers a tube scope - why do you prefer it over a reflex-style dot? Or is just the aint-broke-dont-fix-it approach? (Which I absolutely respect).

I haven't used a regular scope for turkeys. Maybe I would like it if I tried. But I can't think of anything that would make it preferable over a reflex dot. Maybe some like the slight magnification some scopes offer? But it seems to me that magnification would be unhelpful or even counterproductive shooting a shotgun pattern at 40 yards.

My thoughts (and again, I've never used a scope)

pros:
-reflex is lighter
-reflex is smaller
-reflex offers better field of vision
-reflex is better in low light
-reflex is better for target acquisition and shooting at a moving target

cons:
-I think those with astigmatism may have trouble with the reflex dot, seeing a "starburst" or blur around the dot.

-reflex requires a battery.
However- with the FFIII, one battery lasts five THOUSAND hours. And it automatically turns off if you leave it on more than 12 hours. I've never tested the 5,000 claim. I just pop in a new battery each March and never think about it again.

Latest posts