Scope Upgrade

Easy3actual

I am thinking of upgrading from the stock scope on my Barnett crossbow. I am wanting to know what you upgraded to and what your thoughts were? I've been looking at the Sig BDX crossbow scope, since I already have one on a rifle.

Rakkin6

I have a Tenpoint crossbow with the Tenpoint range master pro scope that is really nice. If I was to recommend another one it would be the Hawke XB30

TheLBLman

I have a Tenpoint crossbow with the Tenpoint range master pro scope that is really nice. If I was to recommend another one it would be the Hawke XB30
It was a tough decision for me between the Tenpoint Range Master Pro & the Hawke XB30, but after consulting with some who had used both, the consensus was the Tenpoint Pro was the better choice for most hunting situations (as are too many hash marks and other "busy" stuff inside the XB30). I put the TPRMP on my Excal Micro, and can highly recommend it.

With most of the "factory" scopes that may come with a crossbow,
you can do much better by exchanging them for something else.

Take a look at the new Burris Oracle X scope as a new option.
What I particularly like about it isn't what most may believe to be it's great feature.
I like the fact that you can adjust the magnification WITHOUT altering the POI at different ranges. This is very unlike most crossbow scopes.

IMO, most crossbow scopes are being utilized with way too much magnification, especially the faster crossbows which require the scope's magnifiation to be increased for proper use of the aimpoints at various distances such as 30, 40, 50 yds.

When you're mainly setting yourself up for shots between 15 & 25 yds, a crossbow scope with it's magnification set on 5x or so is greatly limiting your field of view. For this very reason, I have another crossbow set up with a Nikon Monarch shotgun scope having a 1.5x magnification (huge field of view at close range). The new Burris Oracle X scope allows you the option of using anywhere between 2x to 7x without changing your POI.

By the way, I'm not using a crossbow to increase my range, but mainly for the ability to easily use an optical sight, something which seems to become of necessity for most people's eyes with age.

Most of my archery hunting set-ups are planned to provide a shooting opportunity at 15 to 25 yds, and I would generally not take a shot beyond 40 yds even with my 400 fps rated bow having a great optical sight. To me, somewhere @ 35-40 yds becomes the end of high probability ethical shot placement on a deer, even though we may be able to drill bullseyes on stationary paper targets at 70 yds.

TheLBLman

As a crossbow scope alternative, you would not be doing bad to just use a low-magnification "shotgun" scope, sight the crosshair aim point in for 25 yds, after which very little "Kentucky Elevation" adjustment is required anywhere from point blank to 35 yds.

Advantages of this are that you may get better quality glass for your money, you will have a much needed close-range field of view (compared to most "crossbow" scopes), and you will have much greater "simplicity".
So simple.

Latest posts