Scope suggestion

Razorback54

This would be for an old winchester 30-30! It has old crappy iron sites on it and I cant hit anything past about 40 yards with it.

I am gonna put a scope on it. What are some good suggestions?

Will be hunting to shoot for 100 yds or less!

Hogbear

I like lever guns for quick shots in close conditions and my favorite scope for that is a 1x compact that I can use with both eyes open. Since a 3x or 4x is nice for longer shots too, I have variables starting at 1x on two of my lever guns and I love them. One is an older Leupold 1-4x20 vari-x II with a post reticle and the other is a Weaver Classic 1-3x20 that is a very nice scope for the price: http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.e ... mid=183610

http://www.opticsplanet.net/custom-leup ... ticle.html

Plateau Hunter

If it is a Winchester 94 the 'older' ones are difficult to mount a scope. The vertical ejection interferes with scope placement. There were some rigged scout type mounts that attached to the rear sight dovetail but probably not too satisfactorily. If it is the newer 'angle eject' model then scope mounting will be no problem. As for the scope itself I would get a small/compact 2-5x variable or fixed power from say 2-4x. A full size scope overpowers the handiness of a 30/30 carbine and makes them look like a scope with a rifle attached.

Another almost as good option(if not better) is to put a receiver sight on it. They are handy accurate and fast for average eyes shooting to 100yds in the woods. In good light they will allow you to aim precisely farther than the 30/30 should be used on deer. Plateau Hunter

JimFromTN

I saw one of those rigs the other day where the scope was attached to the side of the receiver because of the ejection port. I'd stick with iron sights in that situation otherwise I'd go with a 1.5-6 power scope or something in that range. The scope would depend on the money.

Latest posts