Scope Reticle troubles

Crow Terminator

Okay guys. Been a while since I have hunted or even discussed equipment. Right before I quit hunting, I upgraded my rifle scope to a Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14x44 model. I got it, put it on my 7 Mag and set it, and then quit hunting. That was 3 years ago and I never took it to the woods til yesterday.

It was the first time hunting with it; I was setup on a clearing between two thickets. I loved the clarity of the Zeiss but I hate the scope reticle. Does that make sense? It is their Z-Plex and for target shooting it is great. I was able to aim at individual bullet holes in the paper at 200 yards with it. In low light hunting scenario, the cross hair center is gone well before legal shooting light ends. I actually left early because of this very thing. The center lines are too fine/small for my liking.

Looking for other options now. What do you guys think? I like the high end glass. I have a Minox on my ML and that may be what I go with for this rifle too. They are similar to the Zeiss but a little thicker in the middle; you can at least see them.

Cazador

I would check with Zeiss to see if they will change it for you. Some companies will do it with a short turn around. I have heard that some companies do it for little to no charge.

Crow Terminator

I looked at the other reticles that Zeiss offers and don't see one I think I would like. I don't like any of the ballistic lines or dots. I might for varmints during good light in a field though. I think what I will do is wait til the end of season and sell this scope and buy something else.

smalljawbasser

What magnification did you have it set on? If it was on 14, turn it down to the lowest setting. 4x is plenty for a deer at 200.

Hard to beat a 2.5-8 or 3-9 scope with a standard duplex for hunting. About a bajillion deer have been killed with scopes less than 10x.

Crow Terminator

smalljawbasser":3h3yvb7k said:
What magnification did you have it set on? If it was on 14, turn it down to the lowest setting. 4x is plenty for a deer at 200.

Hard to beat a 2.5-8 or 3-9 scope with a standard duplex for hunting. About a bajillion deer have been killed with scopes less than 10x.

4.5 power. The only reason I got this 4.5-14 scope in the first place was because I at the time, had permissions to hunt some land with long range shooting opportunities and was planning a trip out west for a mule deer/speed goat hunt. Plus it was on sale :) The other scopes I've had in the past were 3-9 power scopes, in which while hunting around here, I rarely ever put the magnification over 4.

The problem though is not that I can't see through the scope at dusk. I can see through it better than I can with my naked eyes. The problem is, the center part of the reticle disappears.

The regular duplex Leupolds are just about right; so are the Minox scopes. The fine duplex ones would be similar to what the Z-Plex is on the Zeiss.

LanceS4803

I looked at the Zeiss and some reviews complained about the thin reticle lines.
I ened up with a Leupold VX-6 2-12x42 with Firedot illuminated reticle.

TNRifleman

Crow Terminator":3dhvcfkr said:
LanceS4803":3dhvcfkr said:
I looked at the Zeiss and some reviews complained about the thin reticle lines.
I ened up with a Leupold VX-6 2-12x42 with Firedot illuminated reticle.

Lance -- That's the scope I am eyeballing right now. Looks good and is at the right price point for me.

Not sure where you are looking at them but Optics Planet has 12% everything today and usually has the best price out there as it is.

LanceS4803

That's the place!
I got the #120595, VX-6, 2-12x42mm CDL-ZL.
I still wonder if I should have gotten the 4-16, but it has a larger obj lens and is heavier. But, tons of animals have been killed w/ 4x and 3-9s.

I looked at Swaro, Zeiss and Leupold. Even Trijicon. Even with LE pricing, optics planet was the best price with always great service.

TNRifleman

LanceS4803":37rj39bc said:
That's the place!
I still wonder if I should have gotten the 4-16, but it has a larger obj lens and is heavier. But, tons of animals have been killed w/ 4x and 3-9s.

I looked at Swaro, Zeiss and Leupold. Even Trijicon. Even with LE pricing, optics planet was the best price with always great service.

I just bought my Vortex Razor HD LH for almost $200 less than anywhere else. Their everyday price ($799) is $100 better than anyone else. On top of that, I got an 11% discount for a deal they were running and free shipping.

PillsburyDoughboy

LanceS4803":6hgk1715 said:
That's the place!

If you can't Killem with 12 x .. 14x ain't gonna help u none.

Besides that's one of the best scopes on the market . Hard to beat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

infoman jr.

7mm08":1o83aukm said:
Love this scope. Probably overkill but the lighted reticle in the evening is awesome. I just need a big buck to make it really work.
That looks very familiar.
15032730_10100850531685008_5669537924326899224_n.jpg

infoman jr.

PillsburyDoughboy":2o9cukvt said:
LanceS4803":2o9cukvt said:
That's the place!

If you can't Killem with 12 x .. 14x ain't gonna help u none.

Besides that's one of the best scopes on the market . Hard to beat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's not so much killing them as it is about identifying them. 2x in magnification could mean the difference in killing a doe or eating a buck tag.

Latest posts