scent control clothing

diamond hunter

What is the best scent control clothes to wear while bowhunting if 50 degrees or warmer?What about the colder? I think I saw on TV about some cabinet in a room that controls scent?What is that thing and where to get it?

bamarp

I have never spent $ for the ridiculously over priced clothes and gadgets they sale and say it is scent free. I have Walmart bought camo and I wash it in baking powder then put it in a tote with cedar branches I cut from my hunting place. I have had deer under my stand several times and never knew I was there. When I'm done hunting I put my clothes back in the tote until next time.

fairchaser

I personally own some just because otherwise it's decent clothing. But, I really don't believe it helps. It's hard to find clothing anymore that doesn't have some sort of scent control. It's foolhardy at best to rely on it when it comes to deer. That also true when it comes to ozone generators and the like. I use some spray on my boots and I have seen it work first hand but the odor molecules that comes of the skin and hair can't be totally adsorbed or contained. Some put off more of this than others. If you could hunt in a plastic suit you'd come closer to being scent free than clothing that breathes. I do think that a deers nose can be temporarily fooled with some cover scents. Not always though depending on how much replicates odor is occurring simultaneously. Of course using the wind is always your best bet.

ImThere

It helps to say it don't is just ridiculous. Google John Eberhart. I know some one will say I farted in it and could smell it. That ridiculous also. It helps contain body Oder. It may be enough to get you over the hump. IMHO but I'm a scent control guy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7X57

Yes, Google John's method of using Scent Lok. I reached out to him years ago and he personally helped me to establish solid scent control. It's not a magical suit and must be properly prepared, stored, and used. If you wear it in your vehicle or at the local gas station, then don't expect for it to work.

catman529

When you break a sweat walking to the tree and are dripping by the time you climb up, all that scent free stuff ain't doing it's job anymore. I just wash in DDW detergent, spray a little scent killer, and hope the wind doesn't shift the wrong way

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

megalomaniac

Dbllunger":1dl7ptcu said:
Hunting the wind is the absolute best way to be successful. Scent control products help reduce scent. They don't eliminate it.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
agreed. Normal scent control (clean clothes washed in scent free detergent, no unusual smells on them or you (ie gas, etc), and hunt downwind of a steady 5-10 mph wind is the best way to hunt.

infoman jr.

ImThere":fc33osh8 said:
It helps to say it don't is just ridiculous. Google John Eberhart. I know some one will say I farted in it and could smell it. That ridiculous also. It helps contain body Oder. It may be enough to get you over the hump. IMHO but I'm a scent control guy.

This is the same guy who says he doesn't watch any hunting shows, then two sentences later compares what he does to what they do on the hunting shows. He lost a little credibility to me when I heard that.

diamond hunter

OK,I don't know where the deer will come from on most stands I hunt.Like field edges for example,do I want the wind to be blowing into the field?What if I'm 25 yards inside the edge where many bucks have rubs and scent check? Is one of the scent control tricks to study currents and try to get higher up in the tree,say 25 feet? One of the biggest problems I have is that people say "play the wind" I would love to but I just don't know how to play it.Do I want the wind to be where I'm watching,where deer are coming from,where they are going? Which way is playing the wind?

JBell

You want the wind in your face while you're watching where they come from. Perfect scenario is they come left to right, or right to left, up wind of your set. I'm also a scent control guy, but being down wind of your target is best medicine. All of these gadgets help, but not guaranteed. Do what you can to reduce scent and play the wind. If the wind is absolutely wrong, you're better off hunting somewhere else.

Mike Belt

I have 1 set of early season scent loc clothing. I burn up when I'm wearing it so it doesn't get much use. While wearing it I've had deer downwind of me that didn't spook but I can say the same thing on several occasions without it as well. It may have helped...or not? I just try to stay as scent free as I can, keep my clothing that way, and use the wind to my advantage. Eliminating all your scent is just about impossible but by toning it down it's possible to fool the deer's nose into thinking you may be farther away than you really are.

catman529

infoman jr.":2rq93brt said:
ImThere":2rq93brt said:

This is the same guy who says he doesn't watch any hunting shows, then two sentences later compares what he does to what they do on the hunting shows. He lost a little credibility to me when I heard that.
maybe he just uses what works, whether it's on a hunting show or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

ImThere

infoman jr.":edlrk4i7 said:
ImThere":edlrk4i7 said:

or he could know them and talk to them. Kinda like the 3 part pod cast he's doing with Dan Infalt On there different approaches to hunting. Maybe.

ImThere

diamond hunter":10a1guyi said:
OK,I don't know where the deer will come from on most stands I hunt.Like field edges for example,do I want the wind to be blowing into the field?What if I'm 25 yards inside the edge where many bucks have rubs and scent check? Is one of the scent control tricks to study currents and try to get higher up in the tree,say 25 feet? One of the biggest problems I have is that people say "play the wind" I would love to but I just don't know how to play it.Do I want the wind to be where I'm watching,where deer are coming from,where they are going? Which way is playing the wind?
If I get in clean and wind under 5 mph I don't worry about the wind a lot in the morning
I want the wind blowing in my face and hopefully I'm looking where they are coming from
I usually hunt around 25' depends on the canopy, terrain features and how far I feel I need to be able to see to prep for the shot

Latest posts