Food Plots Sawtooth Acorns

DoubleRidge

Posted this in QDM forum this morning and didn't get any bites so I'll try it here:

I have been given a sack of sawtooth acorns from this fall.

I'm wanting to start them in pots in the spring....then when they are big enough transplant them on the property.

My question is what's the best way to store them? I've read to store them in the fridge? Then read it's not necessary to store in fridge?...then store inside through winter?....or store outside?.....keep them moist?....keep them dry?

Looking for recommendations from those who have started sawtooth from acorns....hoping to get started correctly.

Popcorn

2-Step Enabled
Cookeville, TN Cadiz, KY and random other places
place them in a plastic bag with a moist paper towel or two and refrigerate or store in crawl space. If they get too wet or freeze solid they will be damaged. If storing them dry then place in a damp area like a crawl space and protect them from rodents and light. To be a healthy tree they need a few hundred hours of cold storage. Pot them in Feb or march and they will respond quickly. Start in one gallon pots filled with mulch and soil. Plant them shallow as they will root as they want to root deep, in nature most acorns are planted by falling into leaves or stuck 1 inch down by a squirrel. The first couple years they develop roots and grow little so this can take a while. keep them watered, I have several white oak seedlings that will be 3 this spring that I plan to plant this winter.

DoubleRidge

place them in a plastic bag with a moist paper towel or two and refrigerate or store in crawl space. If they get too wet or freeze solid they will be damaged. If storing them dry then place in a damp area like a crawl space and protect them from rodents and light. To be a healthy tree they need a few hundred hours of cold storage. Pot them in Feb or march and they will respond quickly. Start in one gallon pots filled with mulch and soil. Plant them shallow as they will root as they want to root deep, in nature most acorns are planted by falling into leaves or stuck 1 inch down by a squirrel. The first couple years they develop roots and grow little so this can take a while. keep them watered, I have several white oak seedlings that will be 3 this spring that I plan to plant this winter.

Thanks! Appreciate the information!

JCDEERMAN

This is what I did a couple years ago with some Chinese chestnuts. Worked great - the only thing I'll add (from my trial and error), is when you get them sprouted and they get going, don't just set them outside. That's what I did and the squirrels dug up and ruined all 40 of them in a couple hour time period. Make sure and protect them somehow

Boone25/06

I have done several varieties of oak, dunstant chestnuts, and persimmons. First thing I would do to acorns and chestnuts is a float test. If they float throw them out. Then wrap in moist paper towel or peat moss in a ziplock bag. Leave the bag slightly open or poke a couple small holes in bag. Place in fridge until late February. I then start them in pots under a grow light. Usually have 90% or better survival. Been doing it for year, I have several trees 20' tall now that I started by seed.

DoubleRidge

I have done several varieties of oak, dunstant chestnuts, and persimmons. First thing I would do to acorns and chestnuts is a float test. If they float throw them out. Then wrap in moist paper towel or peat moss in a ziplock bag. Leave the bag slightly open or poke a couple small holes in bag. Place in fridge until late February. I then start them in pots under a grow light. Usually have 90% or better survival. Been doing it for year, I have several trees 20' tall now that I started by seed.

Thanks! Appreciate the information!

Teacher

2-Step Enabled
I got started on Sawtooth acorns over 35 years ago and I still see alot of folks asking for info on how to grow them. This is the easiest and most foolproof way. Take a piece of pipe, or anything that will make a hole in the ground about one inch deep and make a hole. Drop an acorn in it and take your foot and cover it up and press down on it. Walk to the next spot and do the same thing again. I never pot an acorn. I have folks all over Alabama come each year and dig up sprouts that come up wild in the yard here at my house. This is alot of trouble as I mail out orders all year for the acorns themselves. They will come up from the nut and this is the easiest way to grow them. I bet over the last 35 years I have been responsible for thousands of trees grown.

Hope this helps.
B

DoubleRidge

I got started on Sawtooth acorns over 35 years ago and I still see alot of folks asking for info on how to grow them. This is the easiest and most foolproof way. Take a piece of pipe, or anything that will make a hole in the ground about one inch deep and make a hole. Drop an acorn in it and take your foot and cover it up and press down on it. Walk to the next spot and do the same thing again. I never pot an acorn. I have folks all over Alabama come each year and dig up sprouts that come up wild in the yard here at my house. This is alot of trouble as I mail out orders all year for the acorns themselves. They will come up from the nut and this is the easiest way to grow them. I bet over the last 35 years I have been responsible for thousands of trees grown.

Hope this helps.
B

THANKS!! Appreciate all the information!!

Latest posts