Saw a nice shooter yesterday

DMD

I was hunting a spot that has had a lot of deer activity over the last few weeks. I have seen does and small bucks wearing out the acorns. I have stayed with this spot know that eventually a doe would bring in a big buck in tow. Well, I was watching a doe about 30yards from my stand, when she looked down the ridge with ears cupped forward. Sure enough, he appears...looking like a ghost floating through the woods, his rack standing tall above his head. He was about 80 yards out - too far with brush and trees for a shot. My choices - call and spook doe or let him vanish. I opted to call. I hit the can call, doe threw up her tail and ran to my stand. I thought, "no way this buck can pass this up!" He stopped, looked our way and continued on his way. I checked out where he was walking after I climbed down, and he had a rubline down the ridge, across the logging road and into the holler he vanished into. Perhaps I will catch him coming back through one day. Not too likely with rut kicking in, but deer never do what you expect them too. But, what a privilege to watch a nice buck on his home turf.

Latest posts