Savage?

thejetman

Ant one out there shoot savages? I have a model 111 30-06 and just picked up a model 12 long range precision in 22-250. Just wondering what to expect out of it. I think I got a good deal on it. It's got the heavy fluted stainless barrel, target crown, accutrigger, buckmasters 4x16 scope, Harris bipod. Out the door for 700. What you guys think? Personally I love the accuracy of the 06. It will shoot quarters at 100. But this new one. . . . . . Any thoughts?

Rockhound

I think you got a smoking deal i have fell in love with savage rifles in the last 4 years. I have the model 11 in 300 wsm, model 10 predator in 22-250 and an ml 11

thejetman

Here is some photos of my 111 in 30-06 and my new 12 in 22-250
apbcjt.jpg

r0tspd.jpg

t9fksn.jpg

I could not pass up the 22-250. Heck I think the gun new was between 800-900 bucks, the scope was 300-400 new, bipod was 60-100 bucks. I travel for my job and happened to find this in W. Virginia. The had 740 on the sticker, I offered 700 and got it!!!!! If it shoots anything like the 111 does, I think I got a new yote rifle!

thejetman

t9fksn.jpg

I got this gun at a pawn shop......traded a metal detector straight up for it. Had a redfield scope on it. So I swapped a 3x9x50 Leupold onto it......BEST DEER RIFLE.......EVER! 1 inch groups at 210 yards.

thejetman

Rockhound said:
I think you got a smoking deal i have fell in love with savage rifles in the last 4 years. I have the model 11 in 300 wsm, model 10 predator in 22-250 and an ml 11
They are the best rifle for the money...The accutrigger is the best gun invention in the last 40 years in my opinion.

thejetman

BigD_625 said:
Sweet deal. Your salesman doesn't look too happy to be in a pic. I bet he was smiling after you left. LOL
Caught him off guard lol. I am pretty happy with the buy. I think I did good with it.

BigD_625

thejetman said:
BigD_625 said:
Sweet deal. Your salesman doesn't look too happy to be in a pic. I bet he was smiling after you left. LOL
Caught him off guard lol. I am pretty happy with the buy. I think I did good with it.

Yes, I think you did great with it. You'll love it.

big jim

While the model 12 you bought is on the higher end of their product line, even the model 10 and 110's with the accutrigger from Walmart can be real shooters.

If you handload or know someone who does, your model 12 will absolutley amaze you on neck sized/fire formed brass. Recently sighted in a friends Model 16 FSAK in .308 and it shot 1/8 moa at 100yds with handloads.

thejetman

I would love to find someone to teach me to handload. I used to do shotgun shells with dad as a kid, but I have no equipment. I am really looking forward to see what it can do!

REN

i have a pre Accutrigger model 111 in .243 that is the ugliest gun you ever seen....However it drives tacks and i love the thing...the 200+ deer shot with it didnt like it very much though lol

UPSman

2-Step Enabled
Jetman...did you quit working on Tractors at UPS? Wondering....since I havent seen you in a while.

DaveB

Jetman-
Been hand loading since mid '80s. Have loads for my 22-250 in 60 grain partitions and several lighter ballistic tip weights. Only qwuesiton I have is what is twist rate. Standard is 1/14 which positively limits you to a maximum 60 grain bullet. I will say that is one sweet looking setup, congratulations.

thejetman

DaveB said:
Jetman-
Been hand loading since mid '80s. Have loads for my 22-250 in 60 grain partitions and several lighter ballistic tip weights. Only qwuesiton I have is what is twist rate. Standard is 1/14 which positively limits you to a maximum 60 grain bullet. I will say that is one sweet looking setup, congratulations.
From all my internet serches so far, everything is pointing towards handloading for best accuracy. What would I need to make it happen, and how much money does it cost? I see all these "kits" for sale, but I dont know what stuff I REALLY need to start. Any advice?

big jim

Lee, RCBS, Hornady, and others make single stage presses in a kit form that has everything you need to get started. Personally, I like the Hornady deal because it comes with their reloading manual, scale, priming tool, etc and 500 free bullets (through rebate and worth about $125.00). Hornady customer service is outstanding.

You will also need dies. Lee makes a deluxe rifle set that has both the full length sizing die and the neck sizing die. The neck sizing die is what you will need to handload cartridges specific to your rifle to get the best groups.

Powder and primers and you are in business. Another item to consider is a tumbler to clean spent brass.

Once you have the press, you will be able to purchase additional dies for any rifle or pistol you own.

Latest posts