Savage 212 ammo

Rakkin6

I hunt on Fort Campbell a lot which is shotgun only. Currently I am using a Benelli SBE2 with a rifled barrel and love it, great accuracy with the Winchester Partition Gold rounds. But I do have a chance to get a brand new Savage 212 really cheap, I know this gun is a tack driver but everyone is saying to use the Remington Accutips in them. Needless to say I will not be using these rounds ever again. I couldnt find my Partition Golds anywhere 2 years ago and used some of the Accutips. They shot great at the range but during the season I had two misfires with them and my buddy had one and we were using different lots, he bought his at bass Pro i bought mine at Academy (all three on deer). Needless to say I dont trust these rounds. So my question is does anyone out there have a 212 and if so what rounds are you using in them. Thank you for any help you can give.

Tn Joe

Accutips are great for putting holes in paper but have lead to a lot of wounded and unrecovered deer.

I've heard of guys having good results shooting federal trophy coppers out of the 220s

Rakkin6

Back in 2011-2013 I used the Federal with the Barnes expander tip and loved them, then they stopped making the Barnes when Remington acquired Barnes. Found the Winchesters before the Federal Coppers came out and loved them so never needed to try them once they did. I am sure there are other slugs out there that shoot good in the 212 just didn't know if anyone had tried them.

I think I am going to go ahead and get the gun, I can pick up the matte black 212 for $400.00 brand new in the box.

deerfever

I shoot the federal trophy copper out of my Savage 220. They shoot great! I would give them a try out of that 12,they shoot exactly like the federal Barnes expander out of my gun. Very accurate and get the job done!

medwc

If you want to try a cheaper round... https://www.sportsmansguide.com/pro...1-4-oz-laser-plus-sabot-slugs-5-rds?a=1613599 I have read and been told they are just like the old Remington Buckhammers. The buckhammers were very accurate and "hammered" many Fort Campbell deer back in the day. I have some Rottweil in 20 gauge but have not shot any yet. I had been using the federal trophy coppers but I get bad blood trails with them shooting a Savage 220.

deerfever

I will give you another one to look into, I have never had any issue with the federal trophy copper but I bought the Hornady Custom lite for my son to shoot out of his 20 gauge slug set up. It has a reduced recoil, the slug is extremely accurate and he has killed a couple with them. They make the shell for 12 gauge also. Just another thought for you!

dhpro

I shot the Winchester slugs can't recall the name , they were in a black box and Aron's 20 $$a box . They were great and killed dead . Want to say they were called partitions??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

medwc

This morning I shot the newer Remington Premier "Barnes" Expanders 3" 20 gauge. I consider myself an ok shot. I just can't hold it super steady to be better than that. All I can say is "wow" on these shotgun slugs. The red circle is my first 2 shots at 25yrds. 4 clicks down and 4 clicks right then the green circle was one shot at 25yrds. Moved out to 75 yards, blue circle one shot. It should have been an inch high at 75 yards but was more like 1 3/4 inches high. Moved to a hundred yards and the yellow circle was a 3 shot group, one shot right behind the other, no waiting. That is better than I could do with the Accutips. Oh, and that was with a Savage 220, Boyds savage 220 thumbhole stock, glassed and pillared. So I would highly recommend giving those a try if you like the Accutips. Also, I found them the cheapest at Budsgunshop.

Headhunter

I would trade or sell the 212 and get a 220. The 220 is flatter and way less recoil. I have killed deer with mine out to 172 yards. The 220 is a tack driver.

medwc

Tn_Va_Hunter":13df1i8w said:
I've had excellent luck with lightfields. Most deer drop or go just a few yards. Of course I have a H&R single shot 20ga.
Yeah, back in the day I had the H&R Ultra Slug Hunter (20ga) with the thumbhole stock and the Lightfield were very accurate in it but I could get the Remington Buckhammers back then for like $6.00 a box. The Buckhammers were more accurate than the Lightfields but not by much. I bought about 25 boxes of the Buckhammers as soon as I found out Remington stopped making them. As soon as I ran low on the Buckhammers I switched to a Savage 20ga the next year. My savage will not shot any of the slower(<1600 fps) slugs that great.

Latest posts