Sassafras

XCR-2

I have lots of sassafras on my property scattered throughout my hardwoods such as oak and hickory. Is there any benefit to hinge cutting, total removal or just leave them be? I don't want to have them popping up even more and taking over. That's why I don't know if I should hinge cut.

Ski

I'd leave them be unless you're just infested with them. They won't outgrow oaks. They're generally an understory tree and when they die standing they often become hollow, which makes excellent homes for all sorts of birds, flying squirrels, etc. By all means if they actually are out competing oaks then thin them out but otherwise they are an excellent food source for all sorts of animals, including deer. In my woods they get choked out and die by the time they get around 15" dbh, but the ground is littered with saplings that deer, turkeys, bunnies, squirrels, and grouse back when I still had them all seem to like it.

Huntaholic

Theres no way I would hinge cut them and waste them. Sassafras make FANTASTIC lumber. The ONLY reason its not on par with white oak is there isnt enough of it to support a commercial market.

DoubleRidge

My grandad called it summer wood. He said that it was preferred for their cook stove in the summer. It would burn fast enough to cook but wouldn't linger and heat up the house.
Interesting....I never heard that before...I appreciate the wisdom from those that grew up in a different time....good stuff....thanks for sharing.