same deer?

TheLBLman

Need more info for a better answer. :)

If both were found as "fresh sheds" in the same year, it's impossible they're from same buck,
as they are both from the right side.

If the smaller one is a year older (prior year) shed, it's possible, but extremely improbable imo.
(The lack of a brow tine on the larger is the main reason they're not likely from same buck.)

BSK

Anything is possible, but I don't think so. Quite often bucks retain particular shapes to their antlers from year to year. The larger antler has a distinctly different shape to the fork formed by the beam and the G3 tine than the smaller antler. Although it's a subtle difference, it's enough of a difference to say I suspect the two antlers were grown by different bucks.

BSK

Booboy1989":12ip12bt said:
No they look to be from the same side of the head

I was assuming the larger antler was from this year and the smaller antler from last year, but I could be wrong about that.

TheLBLman

Eric Kilby":24kph7st said:
. . . . 2 different years found in the same area . . . . and the only reason the bigger rack doesn't have a brow tine is because it's been broke off
NOW we have more details. :mrgreen:
I absolutely could not tell that the larger antler ever grew a brow tine, based on that pic.
Having grown one, yes, that greatly increases the possibility these sheds are from the same buck.
But there are still other anomalies highly suggesting they are not.

TheLBLman

If these were from the same buck, I would expect the G-2 of the smaller shed to be just a tad longer. Also, note the smaller shed has a relatively larger main beam diameter in that section between the G-2 & G-3 (opposite would be expected).

The main beam tip of the smaller also has more of an upward sweep or curl than the larger. Lastly, note the significant difference in color.

None of these rather subtle differences rule out this being the same buck, but they do highly suggest they're from different bucks. On the other hand, being found in the same vicinity and having so many similarities, this is highly suggestive they're from the same buck. :D

Andy S.":d5jdsjec said:
. . . . . no way to know for certain.
The bottom line . . . . .

BSK

TheLBLman":2ikb7d0e said:
The main beam tip of the smaller also has more of an upward sweep or curl than the larger.

This.

It's amazing how often bucks produce the same shape to the end of their beams from year to year. Often I can track an individual buck simply by the shape of the end of his beams, whether they dip down, are straight, or sweep up, as well as how much they turn inwards at the ends.

TheLBLman":2ikb7d0e said:
None of these rather subtle differences rule out this being the same buck, but they do highly suggest they're from different bucks.

Agreed.

Bone Collector

TheLBLman":370iipsn said:
(The lack of a brow tine on the larger is the main reason they're not likely from same buck.)

This is what I was thinking when I saw it. Deer IMO usually either grow brows or do not. Even when they are young it may be nothing more than a bump, but they grow something and then each year they get longer. the deer on the left is bigger, so IMO if it were the same deer the brow would be at least the same length, if not longer.

Bone Collector

Eric Kilby":1zgfnrco said:
BSK":1zgfnrco said:
Booboy1989":1zgfnrco said:
No they look to be from the same side of the head

I was assuming the larger antler was from this year and the smaller antler from last year, but I could be wrong about that.

You are correct, 2 different years found in the same area. The only reason I even asked in there is alot of similarities between the 2 and the only reason the bigger rack doesn't have a brow tine is because it's been broke off

In that case I change my answer to it could be... I meant to ask that question, should have just read all the response before answering. :D

Latest posts