Saltwater fishing from a bass boat

Pilchard

The trailer definitely needs to be rinsed, or better yet, dunked at a freshwater ramp, especially if it's a tube design with painted steel. Galvanized or aluminum, you will be fine. Many ramps in LA are mostly freshwater though so it isn't as big of a deal as say the FL Keys.

As far as the outboard, you'll want to flush it with freshwater, preferably on ear muffs with the outboard running. The only thing different about an outboard are the sacrificial anodes used are a different material in freshwater vs saltwater application. The anodes would not be an issue on a short trip though.

Aside from this, you should be fine. A week in the salt ain't going to kill your boat. Just spray it off good with a garden hose, pull the plug and rinse out the bilge in case the MFG sucks at marine wiring.

Don't forget to rinse your reels also.

Gvit

I lived on the coast for 26 years & owned several different center consoles & flats boats the entire time I was there. Trolling motor & trailer (unless your current trailer is aluminum or galvanized) are really the only things you need to worry about. If you have a steel trailer, no amount of rinsing afterwards will get rid of all the salt. Trolling motors are also different - saltwater trolling motors use different steel & electronics are encapsulated. Otherwise, everything else is the same - give it a good rinse & you'll be fine.
Pro tip - Cajun Thunder đź‘Ť

Sellis26

I agree with the above comments. The boat isn't the problem. It's getting lost in the marsh! lol
This thread is awesome! Tons of great info and advice, and I don't have a boat and ain't going to LA.
I agree with both of you. Tons of great advice I'm glad I posted this. Our TN deer friends always lend a hand. Hopefully this gets some others to make a trip as well.

Displaced_Vol

Only thing I've got to add is I hope you take lots of pics & let us know how it goes. A cast & blast trip to south LA for blue wingers and in shore fishing is high on my list, maybe the highest.

Grnwing

I run down to Hopedale and fish out of there every spring before turkey season. I have become a big fan of the Matrix shad coupled with their jig heads and a strikeking redfish runner. They have the heavier wire hooks and hold up really well. Not sure if its been mentioned but start looking at your tide tables. They dont have a ton of water moving but its really helpful to know if you have incoming or outgoing tide. It 'll help you have an idea of how to fish. I love a flooding tide and riding it deep into the marsh but be mindful to not get stuck on the falling tide. Louisiana has some unique marine laws and water can be posted. Not sure if you ll have that problem down in Venice but I have had to reroute my runs based on some blocks of private land/water. Your boat will be just fine as long as you rinse everything.

Hope you have a great trip!!

hammer33

I have fished there a lot over the years. Here is my .02. Look into Hopedale or Delacroix if you are running a bass boat and stay away from the MRGO if you can. BIG shipping channel and you can easily get 6 ft wakes off the tankers and freighters if they aren't following the rules and are revving up inside the channel. We almost got flipped in a 24' bay boat fishing along the inside jetty when a tanker was running fast. There is a ton of marsh to fish and IMO, the biggest appeal to venice is the easy access to East and West Bay to run outside and fish the rigs for snapper. This is NOT a good idea in a bass boat as a small change in wind/tide direction can chop it up bad in no time so stick closer to the ramps and fish the back country.

We often fish close to the ramps in Hopedale and Delacroix when the weather is iffy, or when we don't have time for long runs to some of our normal spots. Often the "this looks good lets try it before the storm gets here" spots are as good or better than the ones closer to the bay. We catch more reds and flounder and fewer trout close to the ramps but thats fine by me ! As said before, dont' count on your cell phone working.

The shortest distance to success on reds in the back water is going to be moving water. Wind and or tide driven. Find a creek or small bay that is draining over a point or anyplace the current necks down and try it. Another good method is to fish the windblown side of islands that have oysters or grass. The wind blows the plankton up, the bait follow, and the predators come to eat. Ponds can be great too, but there are a thousand of them and one will have a ton of fish and the next one, none. If the pond is full of slimy weed gunking up your lures, try a different pond. Johnson silver minnow in gold works great on reds in shallow ponds but sharpen the hook !!

At the end of the day, use a salt removal wash product on your reels ! Squirt a small amount of dawn soap in the bilge and leave the plug in as you wash the boat. Keep that 5-10 gallons of water in the bilge as you drive to fill up the gas, (let it slosh around) then pull the plug in the gas station parking lot. Or you can use something like SaltX. Before you go, put dielectric grease on every electrical connection you can reach on the boat. If the weather is perfect, you might not need it, but if the weather goes south, or if you get waked by a tanker and stuff the nose through a big wave, you will be chasing corrosion and bad connections in your electrical system for a long time.

fullstream

Take a right out of Venice marina and run red pass to the west bay. If it's flat you can run to the rigs for snapper and possibly cobia.
I've caught a bunch of Bull reds working the shoreline of west bay taking a left coming out of red pass. Have also done well working banks of last 1/4 mile of red pass if it was choppy in the bay. Be cautious with the saltwater cats (they are a nuisance) when unhooking them. If you get finned it'll hurt and swell.
Popping cork with a flouro leader with live shrimp if available or bait shrimp is what I usually used. Artificials are a blast when you find a school.

Sellis26

Take a right out of Venice marina and run red pass to the west bay. If it's flat you can run to the rigs for snapper and possibly cobia.
I've caught a bunch of Bull reds working the shoreline of west bay taking a left coming out of red pass. Have also done well working banks of last 1/4 mile of red pass if it was choppy in the bay. Be cautious with the saltwater cats (they are a nuisance) when unhooking them. If you get finned it'll hurt and swell.
Popping cork with a flouro leader with live shrimp if available or bait shrimp is what I usually used. Artificials are a blast when you find a school.
Advice taken I found it on the map and appreciate it.

Also as a general note where do most people stay when they go on trips there? I was looking at AirBNB's
I have fished there a lot over the years. Here is my .02. Look into Hopedale or Delacroix if you are running a bass boat and stay away from the MRGO if you can. BIG shipping channel and you can easily get 6 ft wakes off the tankers and freighters if they aren't following the rules and are revving up inside the channel. We almost got flipped in a 24' bay boat fishing along the inside jetty when a tanker was running fast. There is a ton of marsh to fish and IMO, the biggest appeal to venice is the easy access to East and West Bay to run outside and fish the rigs for snapper. This is NOT a good idea in a bass boat as a small change in wind/tide direction can chop it up bad in no time so stick closer to the ramps and fish the back country.

This kind of has me rethinking my strategy. I was considering just fishing out of Venice and throughout southwest pass on all the jetties and little inlets. This sounds like a terrible idea now lol

fullstream

Nothing beats staying on a houseboat and stepping right on your boat in the morning. I was blessed that I got to know the owner of one down there.
Generally you book em through vrbo but they can be pricey.
The lighthouse lodge is pretty good it's generally around $100 a night. It's 5 minutes from the marina.

I've got a handheld garmin I used as a backup to my simrad. I'll check it tonight and see if I still have all my tracks. If your interested I'll send it to ya to use. Then You can just send it back. It should keep you out of trouble.
Steve

Last edited:

Sellis26

Nothing beats staying on a houseboat and stepping right on your boat in the morning. I was blessed that I got to know the owner of one down there.
Generally you book em through vrbo but they can be pricey.
The lighthouse lodge is pretty good it's generally around $100 a night. It's 5 minutes from the marina.

I've got a handheld garmin I used as a backup to my simrad. I'll check it tonight and see if I still have all my tracks. If your interested I'll send it to ya to use. Then You can just send it back. It should keep you out of trouble.
Steve
That would be a huge help I realllyyyy appreciate you offering that!!! I think I'll definitely take you up on it!!!

Latest posts