Salt time of year...

plinker22

Last this evening I snuck of into the woods for some me time. I used a pic and busted a 2' hole into an old asphalt driveway... Ready now to install a "no trespassing" locked gate.

Then, I mixed up some "Perfect Deer Lick" and carried it the long walk back into the deep woods (truly, it was only about 3/4 mile... but long walk made it sound a whole lot better). :D

20130407_194303_zpse738f0bb.jpg

Refreshed lick. Come and get it deery. TREAT is served. The mixture is 3 parts red mineral salt and 1 part di-calcium phosphate. I added about 4 gallons to this lick. The lick was a muddy wet slop when I walked up to it. I simply turned the mixture into the muddy slurry. Hope the deer appreciate all my hard work. :)

20130407_200056_zps184b44b7.jpg

I took a different route leaving the lick and located a new hunting spot. It is an edge that looks highly travelled. This print was nice to see as well.

20130407_200928_zpsf0f892d3.jpg

Finally, as I was making my way through the thicket, I flushed up two covey of quail (yes, I about dooded my pants) :D About two yrs ago, this covey had almost given me a heart attack one night while leaving the woods. I am pleased to know they are still hanging around my woods.

Anyone else getting their licks refreshed?

Outdoor life

Yep, my salt block is out right now (put out probably a month ago as well), and now a doe has already been at the site and caught on the cam.

I would love to see quail again. For me its been years.

Tracker56

Indeed it is. Got a few blocks out myself to freshen things up a few weeks back and was amazed at the sign already at the old lick sites. Can't wait to watch the bone grow over the summer!!

Hunter 257W

I put out a Deer Cocaine block 3 weeks ago and got 83 pictures over it in about 12 days. This was a new spot so I was pleased they found it so fast and showed so much interest.

The Quail you saw is quite a treat anymore. You must have an unusual habitat to be holding quail now. It's been years since I've heard or seen one on my land. Sure would love to experience walking into a covey and having the old ticker nearly stop again as they blast off all around your feet!

plinker22

Hunter 257W said:
The Quail you saw is quite a treat anymore. You must have an unusual habitat to be holding quail now. It's been years since I've heard or seen one on my land. Sure would love to experience walking into a covey and having the old ticker nearly stop again as they blast off all around your feet!

It was exciting... if that is the right word. :D :D Another of my properties held a covey 7 & 8 years ago. Then, the farmer next door turned the cattle into a 20 acre thicket and I have never seen the quail again. :(

Both these properties are in Sevier County.

Latest posts