Saddle Hunting

Tn_Va_Hunter

Well... here we go. Ordered my set up tonight. Hopefully I'll have it all soon and start some practice climbs. Gotta order a aider of some sort for my steps is all. Then practice a lot. Been wanting to do this and with some gift cards and a great member here I was able to come in under budget (so far).

I'd like to blame this adventure on Catmam!

philsanchez76

Well... here we go. Ordered my set up tonight. Hopefully I'll have it all soon and start some practice climbs. Gotta order a aider of some sort for my steps is all. Then practice a lot. Been wanting to do this and with some gift cards and a great member here I was able to come in under budget (so far).

I'd like to blame this adventure on Catmam!
Congrats man! What saddle and climbing set up did you go with?

Tn_Va_Hunter

Congrats man! What saddle and climbing set up did you go with?
Went with a phantom Ans platform. I like sticking to one company starting off. But will likely order aider snd little things from EWO.

i don't think I'll hate it. I love tree stand hunting. But this will allow me to get into different spots Ans be able to move I'd needed. At least that's how I feel. I understand each hunter is different. If I don't like it. It'll be for sale next season !

fairchaser

I think it helps if your built like Catman and could probably climb any tree with or without steps. I can safely say saddle hunting is not in my future although the idea is intriguing. Best of luck!

tree_ghost

Really cool system for hunting! I love mine. I actually make most of my own gear. Best advice I can give is to practice with your system in the offseason. Figure out your ascent/decent method before its time to hunt and become efficient at it. It's hard to beat a saddle if you get it dialed in...

JCDEERMAN

I am very much looking forward to hunting this method next season. I got the CRUZR XC saddle for Christmas. Already had steps. I couldn't help myself, so I went ahead and bought everything else I need yesterday :oops: - 3 step aider, amsteel daisy chains, predator platform, 2 oplux ropes, back band, 2 caribiners and 2 kong duck rope clamps. I look forward to practicing all summer to get in the groove and be ready to go by next fall.

Heath423

2-Step Enabled
Hunting from a saddle has aloud me to hunt in places that I could not with my Summit. I have enjoyed it (all of this season) and plan on continuing to use it in the future. For anyone starting out practice, practice and practice. Sounds like both the OP and Deerman have plans on doing just that. After you get your routine down be sure to practice in the dark. Enjoy.

tree_ghost

I am very much looking forward to hunting this method next season. I got the CRUZR XC saddle for Christmas. Already had steps. I couldn't help myself, so I went ahead and bought everything else I need yesterday :oops: - 3 step aider, amsteel daisy chains, predator platform, 2 oplux ropes, back band, 2 caribiners and 2 kong duck rope clamps. I look forward to practicing all summer to get in the groove and be ready to go by next fall.
I hear that's a great saddle! I'm interested to hear your feedback on it. And believe you me I'm looking for a 12 step group now to help me out with my addiction here...

philsanchez76

Went with a phantom Ans platform. I like sticking to one company starting off. But will likely order aider snd little things from EWO.

i don't think I'll hate it. I love tree stand hunting. But this will allow me to get into different spots Ans be able to move I'd needed. At least that's how I feel. I understand each hunter is different. If I don't like it. It'll be for sale next season !
Sounds like some good choices! DanO from Eastern Woods Outdoors is an absolutely awesome dude making some awesome products for us hunters. Highly recommend browsing his site.

philsanchez76

Hunting from a saddle has aloud me to hunt in places that I could not with my Summit. I have enjoyed it (all of this season) and plan on continuing to use it in the future. For anyone starting out practice, practice and practice. Sounds like both the OP and Deerman have plans on doing just that. After you get your routine down be sure to practice in the dark. Enjoy.
Good advice! 0- dark- thirty practice is super important!!

Also practice shooting from your saddle too. I also shouldve practices reloading my muzzleloader from a saddle. That first one went fairly poorly in the field when I had deer in front of me.

JCDEERMAN

I hear that's a great saddle! I'm interested to hear your feedback on it. And believe you me I'm looking for a 12 step group now to help me out with my addiction here...
That's what I kept hearing about it as well - I couldn't find a bad review on it. I'll update my thoughts on into next year. I can definitely see it being an addiction. If it is, I will sell my climbers to make up for all the money spent on this setup :D

Heath423

2-Step Enabled
Personally I own the H2 saddle and really like it. However, I have heard good things about the Phantom and Cruzr saddles. Also, worth noting is the Cruzr saddles are made here in TN. I believe in the Cookville area. I also understand they have a shop you can go to and try out their saddles. Please verify before making the drive though.

TN Larry

I have been thinking heavily about it. One of my concerns is not being able to get high enough is a tree. I have a couple of places that 30' is optimal due to terrain. I had thought about attaching some permanent steps to those locations.

Also, how long does it normally take once you get familiar with your system to get settled in the tree? Just looking for a time factor versus my summit.

JCDEERMAN

I have been thinking heavily about it. One of my concerns is not being able to get high enough is a tree. I have a couple of places that 30' is optimal due to terrain.
My setup should allow me to get 21 feet up the tree with just 3 sticks and by carrying a 4th stick, I should be able to get up to 28 feet (give or take), then another foot or two to step up onto the platform. Check out the video below. It shows how to use a 3 step aider going up the tree (which allows you to only use several sticks).

TN Larry

My setup should allow me to get 21 feet up the tree with just 3 sticks and by carrying a 4th stick, I should be able to get up to 28 feet (give or take), then another foot or two to step up onto the platform. Check out the video below. It shows how to use a 3 step aider going up the tree (which allows you to only use several sticks).

Thanks for the link!

What steps are most people using, and how much do they weigh? What about the same for a platform?

Cruzr is located locally so I may try to go check them out at some point.

JCDEERMAN

What steps are most people using, and how much do they weigh? What about the same for a platform?
A lot of options out there. I found the 4 pack of 20" Hawk Helium sticks on sale for $99. I think they are about 2.3 lbs a piece (I'll use 3 sticks most of the time). There are lighter options out there. For the platform, I got the Predator from Tethrd. It weighs 3 lbs.

PickettSFHunter

I have been thinking heavily about it. One of my concerns is not being able to get high enough is a tree. I have a couple of places that 30' is optimal due to terrain. I had thought about attaching some permanent steps to those locations.

Also, how long does it normally take once you get familiar with your system to get settled in the tree? Just looking for a time factor versus my summit.
I'll be honest and tell you that you will get in a straight tree with no limbs faster in your summit compared to most climbing methods for saddles or hang on stands. I'm about 8-10 minutes with sticks/aiders and about 12-14 minutes with wild edge steps/knaider/swaider. I am guessing the majority of my set ups are straight trees that would be great for a climber, I just don't like carrying a climber. I am considering going the lone wolf seat hand climber method for those straight trees that I saddle hunt. Climbing method and platform all in one.

Latest posts