Smokeless Sabot-less shooting

Smokeless

hayman

I shot sabot-less last year used 275 gr match hunters with a fiber wad and 72 gr of H 4198. I had to resize mine with an adjustable die. I sized them a tad small and knurled them a little with a file to fit. They shot great..!

ratsnakeboogy

McGowan Remington 700ML conversion.
250gr. Barnes TEZ over 10/50 IMR-SR 4759/IMR4198.
Wool wad, CCI 209M.

I put a slight knurl on them.

They shoot lights out.

mike243

Not me. I'm happy with what I can get with it & it acts as a saftey in case I screw up.getting a Cronograph is next on my list.

KPH

mike243 said:
Not me. I'm happy with what I can get with it & it acts as a saftey in case I screw up.getting a Cronograph is next on my list.
I am telling you don't get a Cronograph. They just bring on more questions that will need answering.

Rubberduck270

All you do to resize a bullet is force them through a die that is the diameter that you want. That can be done with a reloading press and a threaded resizing die or a free standing die and an arbor press.

Smoothe resizing just changes the diameter of the bullet to whatever diameter your die is (bullet is still round and smoothe). Full form resizing cuts the rifling on the bullet so that it engages the rifling of your barrel and takes up the full bore.

ratsnakeboogy

Roost 1 said:
I need someone to explain the process of re-sizing the bullets.
Also not sure about full form and smoothe.. Hoping bullets either fit out of package or maybe with knurling..

Sizing is done with either dedicated sizing dies .449, .448, etc. these are available special order from LEE.

Smooth sizing die is available through Tom Post I believe, this die is adjustable and is used for "land-riding" bullets.

Full form dies are made from barrel drops from your rifle, they are exact matches to your lands and grooves. The drop is machined into a die that your bullet is pressed through to engrave the bullet that is then loaded into your barrel.

RSB

Rubberduck270

They generally size to get a more exact fit for their rifle (or in the case of full form sizing they are getting the EXACT fit).

Even for sabot shooters, you can take a .400 bullet and knurl it up to say .404ish then run it through a .402 die and all of your bullets will be .402 rather than having variances if you don't measure all of them when you knurl.

fullstream

Roost 1 said:
KPH said:
mike243 said:
I am telling you don't get a Cronograph. They just bring on more questions that will need answering.

Like, how in the heck did you shoot it? Lol
Just ask Fullstream...... :)

Lol yep that sucked...

KPH

Roost 1 said:
KPH said:
mike243 said:

Like, how in the heck did you shoot it? Lol
Just ask Fullstream...... :)
I haven't shoot it yet still practicing.

ewc

6-7 years ago, I was able to purchase a .401/.408 barrel from PacNor for a custom .40 build.

Sabotless is easy for me (and my ONLY option). A slight knurl to get to .401-.4015.

Pour some N110, some Varget, add (2) WOOL WADS (vegie cards wads SUCK), and stick a knurled 195 grain Barnes down the barrel.

sub-MOA to 400 yards @ dam close to 3,000 fps.

With some friends' kills added (they always borrow MY gun), that gun is close to 25 kills, no misses, and just (1) 195gr Barnes recovered on a shot from stern to bow by me. 3' of deer at 140 yards stopped that one.

If you have some sense, you can safely shoot sabotless.

Good luck-

Latest posts