Rut timing around Winchester, TN?

JUGHEAD71

Hey guys! Looking for a little info to help plan my hunts. I have hunted a bunch in Tennessee over the years, but way further north than Winchester. Curious if the rut timing might be a little different than I am used to?

Ski

I'm next door in Coffee. It could be anything from now through March, honestly. It's on when it's on then it's off until it's on again. See-saw action is what I've experienced. I've been out for days on end in November and not seen a rutting buck. But I've seen days and killed bucks chasing does & grunting like pigs in October, November, and December. I've seen them rutting on cam all the way til spring. Not nearly as defined as northern herds, but when there's a hot doe you'll see incredible action.

Hduke86

I'm next door in Coffee. It could be anything from now through March, honestly. It's on when it's on then it's off until it's on again. See-saw action is what I've experienced. I've been out for days on end in November and not seen a rutting buck. But I've seen days and killed bucks chasing does & grunting like pigs in October, November, and December. I've seen them rutting on cam all the way til spring. Not nearly as defined as northern herds, but when there's a hot doe you'll see incredible action.
About like my experience last year. End of October first week of November saw bucks cruising back and forth. About a month later first week of December had a 150" buck pushing does hard through a thicket. Sounded like deer running everywhere back and forth. He finally pushed one out of the thicket into a ravine/ditch. Gave me just enough time to get on him before he pushed her down the ravine more.

Ski

About like my experience last year. End of October first week of November saw bucks cruising back and forth. About a month later first week of December had a 150" buck pushing does hard through a thicket. Sounded like deer running everywhere back and forth. He finally pushed one out of the thicket into a ravine/ditch. Gave me just enough time to get on him before he pushed her down the ravine more.

That's a stud for this area! Congrats!

JUGHEAD71

Thanks for the replies so far! Any other opinions?

I have friends who hunt in Lincoln County, near Fayetteville, who swear Thanksgiving is the best hunting year to year. I was kinda hoping for the same answers at approximately 30 miles away, but I could probably work with Christmas timing as well if need be.

dirtyhands

I hunt bear hollow once a year and a couple years ago I spoke to an old couple that camps there and hunts for a couple weeks. We used to hunt the rifle opener but the guy told us that December is a better time to be in the woods around there. I've heard before that the rut is end of December into January but I have no idea if that is correct. To be honest I've never even seen a buck down there on the mountain. In seven years of hunting there I've only killed two does but I've had a blast hunting and camping there.

BSK

I do know that the TWRA's data showed that there is a significant shift in peak breeding dates very close to the AL border. They found late December into mid-January conception dates in the southern half of the counties bordering Alabama.

JUGHEAD71

I do know that the TWRA's data showed that there is a significant shift in peak breeding dates very close to the AL border. They found late December into mid-January conception dates in the southern half of the counties bordering Alabama.
Some data on peak conception from the Winchester/Tim's Ford area would be awesome! Where would one find the data TWRA has available?

7X57

Lincoln County has always been wide open for me from Thanksgiving to mid-December and then the action dies off. It's great hunting during that time and very pronounced. Bear Hollow WMA has a rut after the season has closed in my opinion. The rut timing changes drastically with just an hour drive in either direction.

Quailman

I live in Franklin County, and typically early through mid-December is the best time to hunt, IMO. Much later rut than what I've been used to, but it really stretches out the season for me! The last 4 bucks I've killed in Franklin County have been 12/3, through 1/5 I believe. Three of the 4 bucks were tending does at the time.

And FYI, TWRA collected samples from a friend of mine's farm on the eastern part of Franklin County on top of the mountain about 5 or 6 years ago. They were looking at fetal conception dates, and most of the does were being bred between January 1st-10th.

oldmanelrod

2-Step Enabled
I live in Franklin County, and typically early through mid-December is the best time to hunt, IMO. Much later rut than what I've been used to, but it really stretches out the season for me! The last 4 bucks I've killed in Franklin County have been 12/3, through 1/5 I believe. Three of the 4 bucks were tending does at the time.

And FYI, TWRA collected samples from a friend of mine's farm on the eastern part of Franklin County on top of the mountain about 5 or 6 years ago. They were looking at fetal conception dates, and most of the does were being bred between January 1st-10th.
Your observations makes good sense as Marshall and Limestone Counties AL that boarder Franklin County usually have a primary rut 2-3 weeks of December. Those deer moving a few miles North must have had some influence on the Franklin County rut.

Latest posts