Rough day

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
We hunted a buddy stand this morning and it is in some THICK stuff.

Deer got to within 25 yards before I could see it.
While we were watching that one waiting on her to get behind something so man could stand up and get his bow another one slipped in.

Big mature doe and she picked man off while he was trying to get into position. :(

We had the same two come back in and they wanted to come into range but just couldn't do it.

Then later we had two does a fawn and a another big "doe" come in.

They sensed something was up and moved back around us. The last big doe was moving towards a hole and man got drawn back.
I was watching through the binoculars and JUST before "she" moved into the hole I saw the spikes.

I whispered rather loudly, DON'T SHOOT IT'S A BUCK.

Man let down and said, "whew that was kinda sketchy" :D

This afternoon was one of the "if it could go wrong" days.
We did see a stud of a 2 1/2 year old 4 point, a doe and a fawn.

Dang wind was PERFECT when we got there and right when prime time got there when the shooter has been coming in, of course it shifted. :mad:

Man was disappointed, as I was, but hey, that's huntin.

catman529

Hey y'all got to be in the woods and drew back on one, the rest of us are sitting here and waiting for TN season to open. :D

Inkstainz

Catman has a definite point. Sometimes it is just about being in the woods rather than making the kill. Although making the kill makes it that much more enjoyable. I know I went to check a trail cam and I remembered the pole saw so I could clear the shooting lanes and I sat up in the stand for about 30 minutes just sitting there enjoying the time I got to spend there.

catman529

redblood said:
catman529 said:
Hey y'all got to be in the woods and drew back on one, the rest of us are sitting here and waiting for TN season to open. :D

catman, you been squirrel hunting anymore
last time was at bayou buck's place several days ago, killed 1, they were not moving much and I missed a couple others. I will probably go once more before deer season, and dove hunting once or twice more if I can.

@fulldraw

Sounds like a typical day of hunting. The shooter will still be around. Good luck if you try him again this evening.

BowGuy84

Yesterday was one of the slower opening days I've had in KY. I did pass a 2.5 8 and my buddy killed an 18" wide 8...his best yet.

I sat watching about 75 acres of beans last night and saw one doe and a fawn...

Going to hit some clover fields here in about an hour.

Mr.Bro

Saw only 1 small basket rack saturday morning.

Moved to a water hole about 4pm and deer started coming in around 5.Saw 8 does and 2 small racked bucks but no shooters.Thank God for ThermallCell.

This morning was absolutely beautiful.Hunted near a corner of beans corn and thickets>saw 5-6 does.Could have been the same 2 or 3.They would come out of the corn and then disappear for a few minutes.Had 1 that tempted me.But near all that corn i knew if she went in there i would never find her.Didnt want to drag one out anyway. :grin:

Maybe next time.