River Otter?

Caught this critter on camera this afternoon. Looks like a river otter - the Hatchie River is exactly 1 mile away from the point this picture was taken. I have a spring on the property and some flooded river bottoms but that is it - no other water source. Never would have thought an otter would venture that far away from the river and its food source. Also posting picture of deer on same trail for size comparison.

Agree this is an otter?

Attachments

• River Otter.JPG
    River Otter.JPG
    182.1 KB · Views: 5
  • River Otter2.JPG
    River Otter2.JPG
    25 KB · Views: 6
  • Doe.JPG
    Doe.JPG
    169.2 KB · Views: 5

Big Pop

Definitely a river otter. They're all over the rivers and lakes in East Tennessee. Thank you TWRA! They have been seen eating Walleye on the bank of Norris Lake and I've seen them in French Broad and Holston Rivers.

BSK

Got a pair of river otter loping through my only valley food plot a couple of years ago. Long way from any water source. And right at the end of the 20-second video, here comes a bobcat stalking them.

megalomaniac

Showing up all over on my places in middle TN. Watched a couple mating end of Dec on my farms. I was going to shoot them, but my daughter wouldn't let me. They are becoming a plague wiping out fish in ponds in middle tn

Popcorn

2-Step Enabled
Cookeville, TN Cadiz, KY and random other places
Absolutely the worst thing that could happen to your stocked pond! They kill fish for fun and they have a lot of fun. They will pack fish into holes, tunnels, dens under water and never use the resource. Once they learn to location of your pond they will return regularly and since big fish are easy they get those first so goodbye trophy bass, adios slab bluegills, miss you big grass carp, where did my coy go!!
They are the worst kind of squatter! They are the perfect democrat! They will quickly destroy any resource that they encounter. Fishing in our lakes and rivers was awesome before they were reintroduced and they will travel miles across land or along drainages with or without water

GUNNERX2

I had scouted a place for early season geese and found an absolute crap load. The next weekend, a buddy and I set up on the spot. Didn't hear or see a goose. Found out later that the TWRA had trapped them and traded KY for some river otters. That was maybe 25 years ago,

Latest posts