Rifled Slug Guns

348Winchester

I have an Ithaca Deerslayer 12 gauge fully rifled shotgun.

Does anyone have a pet load that their gun shoots much better than others?

Mine shoots Brenneke KO slugs well but they are often hard to find. I would like to find another that I could use in case I run out of the Brennekes.

trout

If you can still find them, Remington Premium Accutip in 385 grain. Otherwise, Hornady 300 grain SST sabot. Both shot well out of my Marlin 12 gauge rifled slug gun.

Red-Team-98

Mine shoots Brenneke KO slugs well but they are often hard to find. I would like to find another that I could use in case I run out of the Brennekes.
A fully rifled barrel like my A5 Browning Hastings performed great with full BRI sabot style slugs.
My smooth bore barrel A5 Buck Special always used Breneke Original Slugs.
My M4 Bennelli with cylinder tube is extremely accurate with Breneke Orginal Slugs.
I use both shotguns often for Bear protection in Alaska while fishing and Camping ….with Breneke Orginal Slugs exclusively.

Last edited:

Pic IN the Casa

I have an 1187 with rifled barrel. It is a complete tack driver.
I used to shoot Winchester BRI sabots. They have become all but extinct.
I now shoot Hornady SST slugs.

BTW- Brenneke Magnum Crush is what they shot Harambe with.

41Magnum

I installed a scope on a Savage 220 slug gun, 20 ga. and zeroed it in for him for a few years ago and that thing was amazingly accurate. Used Remington Premier slugs, 250 grain I believe. There's a video on YouTube of a couple of guys taking deer at 300 yds with one. Personally I wouldn't do that but they obviously have confidence and have practiced at that distance and they were shooting from a solid rest at undisturbed deer.

348Winchester

Was there a time when shotgun-only areas were more common in TN?
There were only a few WMAś that required shotguns. Oak Ridge comes to mind but there may be more. To the best of my knowledge Tennessee has always permitted rifles during the statewide seasons but I may not be correct.

348Winchester

I have 16 gauge Ithaca Deerslayer manufactured in 1959. Under 50 yards it is more accurate than the rifled 12 gauge. With standard Winchester Foster type slugs it will cloverleaf groups. With Brenneke Classic Magnums it will shoot into one ragged hole. It is eerily accurate. Unfortunately, my last one of those plowed through a huge sow's shoulder about two weeks ago.

Chiflyguy

I used my buddys Mossberg 500 12 gauge a few seasons ago.
Remington Accutips in 3" shot great. In 2 3/4", terrible.
In my 20 gauge, 2 3/4 shoot great,3" terrible.
Honestly, it's an expensive crap shoot

BigCityBubba

Was there a time when shotgun-only areas were more common in TN?
A remington 870 with a pinned hastings rifled slug barrel was my weapon of choice for a long period of time because I rarely if ever got a shot beyond 50 yds and a deer didn't run very far with a 1 inch hole cut through its body. I could get one inch groups at 100yds with hastings laser accurate slugs. I never hunted anywhere that required it. As I got older, I started leaning towards lighter rifles.

younggun308

2-Step Enabled
Some areas tva use to have open to hunting was shotgun only. Not sure if they still have spots like that anymore. That was a long time ago.

I don't think so. Some WMA areas, if they're restricted at all, will be archery-only. Or they might limit shot size for waterfowl to #2.

But I don't think TVA has the necessary information platforms out there to specify area-specific restrictions. They just have a map of places you can and cannot hunt, full stop.

Latest posts