Rifle choice

Kimberman

I would find a good used rifle rather than a new 500$ rifle. Model 70 would be at the top of my list. A Ruger 77, A Bolt, or Tikka would be good ones to look at as well.

meat hunter

My vote would be for the TC Venture. No rifle made in it's price range is more accurate with factory ammo. Matter of fact there are very few production rifles at any price that will out shoot a Venture.

leader

I got a Browning Abolt with a Monarch On it synthetic /blue I would let go for $550. Hinted with but in great shape I bought off a member in here. Pm for details....

reloadxx

2-Step Enabled
meat hunter said:
My vote would be for the TC Venture. No rifle made in it's price range is more accurate with factory ammo. Matter of fact there are very few production rifles at any price that will out shoot a Venture.
x2 For the money great gun.

David Sapp

I have 2 SS/Synth 270 M70s that I'll be selling soon. Let me know if interested. One is a classic/CRF, the other is a push feed (controlled round push feed specifically). I live about 30 minutes south of I40/Crossville.

sharpshooter

Thanks for the replies. I hope the thieves try to pawn because the numbers are in the system. That is if the pawn shops do what they are suppose to do. I would consider used but it has to be .270(have lot's of ammo already) and I prefer wood stock.

TNReb

I went through the same thing a couple of months ago... looking for a bolt action 270.

I'm going to assume the $500 budget is for the rifle only - not optics.

Don't worry about people who say one rifle is more accurate than another, etc. If you're only going to use it for deer hunting, you simply don't need MOA accuracy. You need to be able to hit about a 3" area. Any rifle is going to be able to do that.

I really liked the Tikka T3 Hunter. The bolt was exceptionally smooth. It may be a little over the $500 budget - shop around.

The Browning A-bolt didn't feel that great to me, and I wound up going with an X-bolt. Shop around - you may can find a good deal on a used one.

Ruger and Savage also make a good rifle.

Shop around. Handle as many as you can. Find one that feels best to you.

sharpshooter

Yeah the $500 budget is for gun only. I may go the Savage route if I buy all different hunting guns. I've also been thinking of buying another Encore, along with appropriate barrels for the hunting season(mz,gun,turkey), and letting it be my do all.