Replace antlers?

Ol' Split Toe

I have a small 8 pt that a family member had mounted for Christmas when I was about 10. Well it has fallen a few times and loosened the antlers, and to be honest it really isn't wall worthy. I have a few skull plates with antlers that I was wondering if I could use to replace the old ones. Is that possible?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

AT Hiker

Best bet would be to get a taxidermist to find some replacement capes and do shoulder mounts on the antlers you want mounted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike Belt

I wouldn't think a taxidermist could remove the antlers without screwing up the cape once it has set up and dried that long. I'm guessing you'll need a new cape and then you can use whatever antlers you want. You'll be out the cost of a mount.

Ol' Split Toe

Well the real issue is that one of the antlers is really loose from falling off the wall a few times and it's noticeable when looking at it, so I was just wanting to salvage it rather than trash it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

bigtex

If the antlers are just loose it would be a pretty easy fix to tighten them up. They are most likely attached to the form with 2-3 3" sheetrock type screws.
You could probably tighten them up yourself. Try parting the hair and drilling a couple of holes through the hide and skull plate then screw a couple of 3" screws into the form. The hair will [should] cover the screw heads.

Mike Belt

That would probably work and with the mount hung high you'd never notice it. I'm betting though the skull plate has broken in half. Still doable but you have to get the rack leveled doing it.

Latest posts