Remove Raccoons?

LanceS4803

I finally have turkeys on my property, but also lots of raccoons. They are on every trail cam I have, every night.
My first thought is to reduce/relocate their numbers before turkey breeding season to give the hens a better chance. But, I read this article from NWTF that says it doesn't make that much difference if you have good habitat.
http://www.nwtf.org/conservation/article/wild-turkeys-predators-problem

Any thoughts on how to proceed?

Setterman

It makes no difference. Good weather and good habitat overcome. The issue is that for every one you kill your neighbors have many times more than that ready to move in

woodsman04

I agree that good habitat trumps all, but fewer nest raiders means better nesting success.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Goodtimekiller

It has made a difference on my farm and i can say that because i see 1/10 of what i saw 2 years ago (coons) on my trail cameras at my trough feeders and last year had the best polt season ever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pressfit

I don't give any nest robbers a break.. whether it's baby opossums or adult coyotes... I'd much rather see a turkey in my yard as a turkey egg sucker...

Shanman

Good benefit to practicing predator control on your property, you just have to keep at it year round, there's always one waiting to feel the void after one is removed.

Latest posts