Remington Primers CS call

Hunter 257W

I am trying to recall if you used any of these primers in another rifle? Do you still have those primers, MUP? I'd like to try some of them in a few rifles at random just to see what happens. I'd be glad to pay the shipping if you didn't mind going to the trouble to package them up. If not I understand too. :)

MUP

Hunter257, I fired 22 more primed cases that I had primed and did not finish loading. The depths of the primers ranged from .005"-.0075" deep. They all fired. I had also loaded these same LR primers in my initial 300WSM loads, I think about 15-18 rounds, and they all fired as well. I can only assume that this one box(100 CT) had an issue during manufacturing and/or handling procedures that led to this point. As I told the CS technician, I'm "gun shy" now, pun intended, about using these primers, so I plan to just continue using the CCI's from this point forward.

As far as the primers go, I don't think I can legally ship them, at least that's what the Rem CS guy told me, that I couldn't ship them back to them. If you're ever over this way we could try to meet up and I would make you a deal on a case or two of them. ;)

Hunter 257W

Yeah, I guess an individual can't get the hazardous labels and get approved by any shipping company. Not sure how that works - if you try to do it legal that is. :) OK, I used to get over to the Chattanooga area pretty often but now hardly ever do. If I do again, I'll PM you and see if we could work out something. I'm just curious how well those primers might work in several guns. Like you, I'd have to see a LOT of 100% ignition before I'd trust them to hunt with but they could make good practice loads. Might even help reveal and cure a flinch or two with primers that don't go BANG every time! :)

MUP

Well, I settled for some ammo to replace the primers, and the ammo arrived today. The invoice said the ammo was from the wip rack, and for those who don't know what that means it's Work in Progress. I opened each box to inspect, and sure enough, this ammo was sure a work in progress. The first one I pulled from the carton had a dent(lube dent maybe) in the case. And I've found a few more from each box that are dented. You can draw your own conclusions about their CS, but I guess this is par for the course along with the primers.

infoman jr.

MUP":1gbqmbca said:
Well, I settled for some ammo to replace the primers, and the ammo arrived today. The invoice said the ammo was from the wip rack, and for those who don't know what that means it's Work in Progress. I opened each box to inspect, and sure enough, this ammo was sure a work in progress. The first one I pulled from the carton had a dent(lube dent maybe) in the case. And I've found a few more from each box that are dented. You can draw your own conclusions about their CS, but I guess this is par for the course along with the primers.
Give them a call back. I've bought and shot WIP ammo, and usually it's in good shape, but that's unacceptable. I'm embarrassed.

Hunter 257W

WIP should be normally processed product that's just not all the way through the manufacturing process, not damaged product?! Sounds like they took some ammo off the Non-Conforming product rack that was awaiting a decision from the Quality department whether or not to Scrap it? That's sorry customer service for sure to send you defective ammo as amends for defective primers! :shock:

MUP

I just went thru each box, and out of 60 rounds, only 13 MIGHT chamber in a rifle. The others had dents the size of bb's in the cases. The 13 looked like range brass that had been walked on, picked up and reloaded. Pitiful.

Infoman, I did send another text back to management.

infoman jr.

Hunter 257W":3ux8l0p9 said:
WIP should be normally processed product that's just not all the way through the manufacturing process, not damaged product?! Sounds like they took some ammo off the Non-Conforming product rack that was awaiting a decision from the Quality department whether or not to Scrap it? That's sorry customer service for sure to send you defective ammo as amends for defective primers! :shock:
You would be incorrect.

MUP

infoman jr.":icdha21c said:
MUP":icdha21c said:
Give them a call back. I've bought and shot WIP ammo, and usually it's in good shape, but that's unacceptable. I'm embarrassed.

Call back was answered, and rec'd well by management Infoman. Top quality ammo is on the way for replacement. ;)

Hunter 257W

infoman jr.":lrs508t5 said:
Hunter 257W":lrs508t5 said:
You would be incorrect.

Incorrect in what way? Dented cases can't be corrected in any way except to fire the ammo to make them conform to the chamber of a firearm. Once you do that, they can't be sold as new product, therefore no normal manufacturing process can convert a lube dented case to a finished product for sale. That would categorize this ammo as non-conforming product. Maybe "Non-conforming product awaiting a decision" even. They may call it "WIP" but that's not correct manufacturing lingo. Not in the aerospace industry at least.

Hunter 257W

MUP":21ll3k2t said:
infoman jr.":21ll3k2t said:
MUP":21ll3k2t said:

Call back was answered, and rec'd well by management Infoman. Top quality ammo is on the way for replacement. ;)

Sounds good. Having said all this however, I wouldn't hesitate to use the dented case ammo. It's really no different than if you had a wildcat and were fire-forming the cases for the 1st time. While those dents make Remington look bad, the really shouldn't hurt a thing performance wise.

DaveB

It isn't the dent itself that is the problem here, at least not for me. I would not expect dented ammo from a major manufacturer, even seconds which is what these are. It makes you wonder if anything else got skipped in the build and QC of these rounds.

And yep, I have personally loaded and fired rounds dented just like these. But I loaded them and yes the intent was to fire form the case. And any brass that does not fire form goes in the recycle box.

MUP

Those were my thoughts as well Dave. I'm sure most, if not all the cases would likely fire form, but they were supposed to be in replacement of new items purchased that were defective, and I would expect them to put their best product in that slot as well. Anyway, the management has assured me that top quality replacement ammo is on the way.

Hunter 257W

Yes, i have never heard of sending non-conforming product to a customer as amends for defective products already in the customer's hands. That is a bit odd! ::)

infoman jr.

WIP ammo is not ammo that would be sent to stores to sell. It is usually sold to employees at a reduced cost. Typically, it contains cosmetic or packaging damage. I've been in the room where this stuff is stored and bought some myself, but it is disappointing that it was used in a situation such as this.

Latest posts