reloading question

varmint1111

In my nosler reloading guide it list 90.5 gr of rl22 @ 3463 FPS. I am shooting 90 gr of rl22 and only getting 3192 FPS. Is this normal? This load is for 300RUM 150 gr bullet. The gun has a 28" tube.

pcrc

Doesnt barrel length have some control over the speed of the bullet? I may be wrong but I think the longer the barrel the faster the bullet travels. If so I would think somewhere in the guide it must tell the length of the barrel used to establish their FPS ratings.

mr.big

I shoot the 150 Partition and 96 grs RL22 from a 26 inch bbl and have tested it many times,,it averages 3611,,
the Hornady Manual is really close to published velocity`s in several loads I have tested,

KPH

There can be alot of ifs here What is the twist that was used in your gun and the test gun where they the same gun and is all the other conditions the same.

44fanatic

R.I.P.
On top of everything else mentioned, temperature, humidity and other environmental factors can affect velocity.

How long has your powder been sitting around, how many times has the can been opened...rhetorical questions.

WTM

pcrc said:
Doesnt barrel length have some control over the speed of the bullet? I may be wrong but I think the longer the barrel the faster the bullet travels. If so I would think somewhere in the guide it must tell the length of the barrel used to establish their FPS ratings.

it all depends on the caliber and cartridge cap. some cartridges lose fps with a longer bbl.

megalomaniac

that doesn't sound right at all, esp with the 28" bbl. check it with another chrono.

heck, that's 7mm mag velocities with an extra 20g of powder!

Latest posts