reloading costs

cecil30-30

I've always wanted to reload,but im very seriously thinking about getting into it now,but I am just wondering is it really cheaper to reload than to buy factory loaded ammo? I'll probably do the most of my loading for 223 for my AR and 40S&W.For you guys that reload 223 in bulk, what does it cost to reload say 1000rnds?

mr.big

to load 1,000 5.56

I get brass off Gunbroker Lake City Prepped ready to load for around 120 shipped to the house

primers are 30$ right now
I use Hornady 55 gr FMJ you can get for 100$ a thousand and it takes 3 pounds of powder

320 a thousand including brass

200 a thousand from then on until you lose your brass,or wear it out

cecil30-30

mr.big said:
to load 1,000 5.56

I get brass off Gunbroker Lake City Prepped ready to load for around 120 shipped to the house

I use Hornady 55 gr FMJ you can get for 100$ a thousand and it takes 3 pounds of powder

Thanks,I was thinking it was gonna be cheaper than that.

mr.big

I have enough brass now that I dont count it,

I can burn a thousand 5.56 for 200$ plus the time it takes to load them..

it shoots way less than MOA out to 200 yards also,,groups at 100 are usually between .5 and .8 inches from 16 inch M4 carbine.

mr.big

cecil30-30 said:
mr.big said:
to load 1,000 5.56

Thanks,I was thinking it was gonna be cheaper than that.

you can get bullets that cost as much as you want,,but just for shooting the Hornady 55 gr FMJ is as accurate as most any bullet you will shoot through an AR,

but for some situations you will have to get something else,,we have killed 8-10 deer with the 55 Rem PSP,but I am gonna try and work a load with the 60 Partition or the 62 X Bullet for JW to use next year.

pcrc

Do you worry about what the deer meat cost per pound? Personally I can buy the best cuts of beef for less than what deer cost if you want to factor in everything I have buy just to deer hunt. I started reloading last year and I really enjoy it. Does it save me any money, probaly not. But I do get a lot of satisfaction in reloading. It is one more way for me to add to my hunting & firearm addiction. I bought all my reloading equipment used and saved a ton of money. I belong to three or four different firearm forums and used stuff always seems to come up for sale on them. When it is a deal I'll buy it. Pick up brass at range, especially 40 sw and 223, there will be more of those two calibers than you can stand. I just started 223 reloading a month ago and already have picked up 500 cases. Purchase powder and primers at gun shows to save on haz mat fees. Just take your time and do a lot of bargain hunting and scrounging and you will save enough make it worth while.

rdl65

Another way to get free brass is check out your local LEO range. My brother is a county deputy and he gets me all the 9mm, 40s&w, .45acp and .223 that I need. You can go to your police dept. and offer to clean the range after a qualifying session for the brass.

JimFromTN

I think it all depends on your goal. With 223, all you are really gaining is accuracy by reloading. You might save a little money but you are investing time. If I just wanted to use the rds for plinking and buring thru magazines, I probably would just buy it by the case. If I was shooting for accuracy and I wasn't going to burn thru 200 rds or more in an afternoon, I would reload.

mr.big

JimFromTN said:
I think it all depends on your goal. With 223, all you are really gaining is accuracy by reloading. You might save a little money but you are investing time. If I just wanted to use the rds for plinking and buring thru magazines, I probably would just buy it by the case. If I was shooting for accuracy and I wasn't going to burn thru 200 rds or more in an afternoon, I would reload.
I can buy 1,000 Lake City Brass fully prepped ready to load for 120$,,I have gotten 10 loadings with them and still goin strong,,but I load my AR`s a little light,

so if I can average 10 loadings the brass doesnt cost but 12$ a thousand

12$ for brass
100$ for Bullets
30 $ for primers
70$ for powder

so counting the life of brass at 10 loadings I can load super accurate AR ammo for 212$ a thousand..the time it takes saves me 200$ an hour for therapy..

how much does 223 ammo that will AVERAGE less than MOA everytime cost per thousand from the store already loaded,,

not counting the soothing therapy I get sittin in the basement in total quietness loading my own ammo.

if you shoot the big boomers that cost 60-70$ per 20 you can come out way ahead.

JimFromTN

Like I said, it depends on your goal. I know lots of people who would never dream of reloading because all they do is burn thru it, shooting at trash anywhere from 20 yds out to 100 yds. You can get cheap russian 223 ammo for $240 for 1000 rds. If you are shooting out to 200 yds and beyond and you are wanting MOA then by all means, reload. Again, it depends on your goals. I am planning on getting a varmint rifle in 223 and I have every intention of reloading, but I want MOA out to 300 yds and I probably won't burn thru more than 50 rds in a day at the range.

Baxter83

Very expensive to get started, but like Mwoodard said, most of the equipment will outlast you. In the long run it will pay for itself. If you don't shoot a lot (like me) it may never really "save" you any money, but it will simply give you the satisfaction of doing it yourself and fine tuning your shot. I have been looking into it and decided not to make the purchase, but instead use a good friends equipment and buy the die's and whatever else I need for my caliber.

Latest posts