Reload range test questions?

sneakboxer

Weather wise i picked a terrible time to become horribly addicted to reloading for my 308. I have three new bullet combinations cooked up to test. I also just got a Chrony so I want to look for vel, accuracy, and pressure signs. As long as the wind does not blow my chrony over the wind should not affect pressure or velocity but at 50yds/100yds i could have over 1.0in/1.5in of wind drift.
With a variable like that all accuracy data would be poor at best. What are your thoughts? Send them down range and make once fired brass, check for press and speed or hold off till the weather improves (less than 5mph wind)?

Oh yea, i'm not made of money so killing three birds with one shot is kinda important to me.
Thanks as always,

Model70Man

If you are loading hunting loads, I wouldn't worry about the wind if you are shooting at 100 yds. It won't make that much difference. If the winds are 20+ mph I wouldn't go. I'd be more concerned with consistancy with fps and pressure signs. If you are shooting 1" groups with consistant fps and no pressure signs I'd go with that load and hunt.

Tiny

Agree as well if wanting to do all at the same time,which I don't like to do very often ain't my chory I use,LOL.
If for Pressure and FPS go for it and try to keep note on Temp and other weather factors like Bar. Pressure.

sneakboxer

Thanks guys, with weather like this i'll never make it out. I have three different loads to test and a few more to run over the chrony. Deer and duck season is not helping ether.

I wish i would have started reloading sooner!

W C

What rifle and what loads do you have?

Yesterday I took a brand new suppressed Remington 700 SPS Tactical topped with a Nitrex TR Two 3x5x15 to the range. I load for another 700 in .308 but different rate of twist so I Googled loads for this one. Only loaded 2 versions....44.4 and 44.6gr of Varget........Turns out that 44.6gr of Varget under 168 SMK or 165 Speer PSPBT in new Lapua brass seated .145 from the lands shoots about 1" at 200yds.

Maybe you'll get some decent weather soon and get some range time. I wish I could do it more often but that 4 letter word 'work' gets in the way a lot :)

Latest posts