Release’s

BigDuhg

What release is everyone shooting?

For the last 12 years I have been shooting a Scott samurai but at the bow shop today and shooting through paper again I was getting a nasty nock right tear. After trying a few different things it came down to how I was shooting my release. I had to much string pressure the way I was pulling while trying to not "slap the trigger". Tried a few other index releases then tried a few thumb releases and one of them was the new Stan Onnex and wow…. Long story short now learning a new way to shoot with a thumb release.

What's everyone else's expertise going from index to any sort of thumb, resistance, or hinge style release ?

Attachments

• B4090E37-8376-4E04-A65D-E52D81615514.jpeg
    B4090E37-8376-4E04-A65D-E52D81615514.jpeg
    160.9 KB · Views: 46

david k.

I'm making the switch this summer as well after shooting Scott Index finger releases for the past 25-30 years. I've changed my anchor point and then was able to increase my draw length from 28.5" to 29" which is very comfortable.

So far I've found it to be very consistent and the only downside I've experienced was recently on a 3D course...it was hot and muggy and counting 'warm-up' shots and then shooting most of the course, I'd probably shot about 60 arrows. Then on one of the last targets, I felt my fingers start to get weak and I thought the release was going to pull out of my grip!

Luckily I was able to hang on to it and then finish the round...I might put a piece of paracord around my wrist just in case though.

Hduke86

Lol I tell you the mistake I did last year. I went from shooting index style and wanted to try out the thumb release style. Welllllllllll…… after shooting index for so long and being accustomed to the wrist strap I have a bad habit of relaxing my hand and letting the pressure rest on my wrist with the index style but I did this with a thumb release with no wrist strap and basically just let go of the dang release while still attached to the d-loop. I can tell ya that a thumb release getting slung into your bow will knock the string off the cams and the release will go farther than you can imagine. Needless to say I stuck with what I knew and still shoot index style lol.

BigDuhg

I can relate to both. While I haven't let go of the release yet lol… I can definitely feel my hand and forearm wear out the longer I shoot. Then as the sweat rolls in it does slide around some making it harder to hold on to and get a consistent anchor point.

For me so far I feel I can be more repeatable with how I work the thumb button. Also for hunting if a shot is needed to be taken quickly you can still "slap the trigger" if needed.

Still need to work out to 50+ yards and see how it does.

JN

I shot thumb release last year and have converted it to a hinge release this year. I was worried about taking a quick shot for hunting at first but now can roll through pretty quickly if need be. It def took a lot of practice to get use to it.

Specializedjon

I bought a thumb release and thought I'd go that route. Practiced like crazy and started to get comfortable. I liked the fact that I could hook it on my loop and it's ready. Well, when the season rolled around, I grabbed 'ol faithful, wrist strap/index release (Scott). If I "Clank" ONE MORE TIME on my stand I may have to switch back. I like both, but index is more natural to me.

BigDuhg

I shot thumb release last year and have converted it to a hinge release this year. I was worried about taking a quick shot for hunting at first but now can roll through pretty quickly if need be. It def took a lot of practice to get use to it.
I assume you plan to hunt with a hinge again this year?

Which one do you shoot?

UCStandSitter

I shoot a Stan Perfex coming from a Nock On which was just a shortened Carter Wise Choice. Wanted to buy an Onnex but all those Perfex models went on clearance when the Onnex came out. Made it too tempting. Love it. So smooth. Even tightened my groups a lil.

After getting used to a thumb I could never go back. Made the swap over a few yrs ago and haven't regretted it. A release is such a personal thing though. Have had buddies try a thumb on my recommendation and hated it. Yo each their own.

BigDuhg

I am going to give it a try for hunting and why i started earlier this year getting use to it because it felt so different. I am using the tru ball goat.
I shot the goat in the thumb setting and while it was super smooth the heavy Stan just felt right in the hand.

Shim71

I made shift to thumb last 2 years ago and definitely like it better. No desire to change. I feel like it helps me with punching the trigger but, more important to me, i also lke it for hunting. Really like it hanging from d loop. Very convenient and silent. With all that being said, it i believe that is the fact that most thumb release are higher quality with little to no trigger travel is where the majority of improvement comes from. I have a high end carter wrist strap that has zero trigger travel that i can shoot just as well. I would suggest to any archer to try it becuase it was cool to learn a different way to shoot but any style works.

Black Titan

I started off with a Scott index release, then when I picked up an Elite Rezult for target archery I started shooting a hinge, a Scott Ascent. I decided I was sick of the index release clanging around, even with it swiveled and locked up against my wrist. I also could never find a consistent anchor point with the index release, and the hinge felt much more comfortable and natural.

So for hunting, I decided on a thumb button that I shoot with back tension the same way I shoot my hinge. My hinge is set very hot and I don't trust myself with it while hunting. Buck fever, cold weather, shakes, nerves, etc. But I wanted something that felt as comfortable and natural as my hinge.

I use the Scott Pursuit on my hunting bow and love it. It is shaped nearly identical to my ascent so the transition was easy. I have been considering upgrading to the Apex though, as it has a bit more adjustability and is a definite step up from the budget/entry level pursuit.

BT

JN

I shot the goat in the thumb setting and while it was super smooth the heavy Stan just felt right in the hand.
Update I made the switch to the ultraview hinge 2 and like it better than the goat. Also like the mag hold for the "hook" so it is always ready to go. I also started shooting my index trigger release again just for a back up and feel like the hinge made me a better shot with that release. I also converted the goat back to a thumb trigger but didn't like it now that I am use to using it as a hinge.

Latest posts