Red Zone!!! 15 yards or closer

Harvester

what is the closest you ever shot a bird? The closest for me has to be about 8 steps and the next has to be 11 steps. To close for error. lol. Don't like them any closer than 15 yards.

Grizzly Johnson

12 steps for me.... it was my first solo bird with me doing all the calling. He came in spitting & drumming on a string. I shot because I was afraid he was getting too close and still coming....it was all over 30 minutes after daylight.....

bvoss

Had two longbeards walk by me last year at 3 steps. Pulled the trigger at 7 steps on the strutter! The firing pin hit the shell, the shell didn't go off. The turkey took off running and I pumped and shot him at ten. Hit him in the back of the neck with the 4x5x7 nitros! Talk about UGLY!

REN

approx 10ft. had 2 out front at 50yds working and then had one gobble RIGHT NEXT TO ME where i was not looking. tried to wait on the double but the other one got so close i thought he was going to PUT THEM THANGS ON ME! turn and shot him at about 10ft.....goes without saying there was not much head left lol

Setterman

I killed one at 10 steps a few years ago, and missed one at 5 on my first TN draw hunt at Oak ridge. I don't like them inside 15, period.

megalomaniac

First bird I ever killed was 1 yard from the end of the barrel. It wasn't pretty.

Killed several inside 5 yards, missed a few inside 5 yards. The shot pattern isn't really a pattern inside 5 yards- just a 1" column of lead.

nate17

I was calling for a kid on the juvy hunt a couple years ago and put him and his dad about fifty yards in front of me and the gobbler circled around and was 6 feet from me gobbling his fool head off. I thought I was gonna blow an ear drum. I'm just really glad that they had enough sense to not shoot the bird beacuse I would have been nailed if they had shot.

Taylor

Had some so close, I think I was lucky to hit 'em with a pingpong-sized pattern. And then there's some I did miss. LOL. But fortunately, second shots (sometimes) are a bit more lethal when you begin the shootout at close range.

Latest posts