Red Loctite Removal?

LanceS4803

Removed an old scope mount and found that it had apparently been secured with red loctite. The base screws came out very hard, almost felt "sticky".
Down in the tapped hole I can see the remnants of something red. Fills the bottom of the hole. I can chip tiny pieces off with a straight pin. The screws just have a hint of red at the top, below the flared head.
Dry fitting the new base and screws start to nug up about half way in. Didn't want to force anything until I figured out what to do with the red stuff.

These are flat bottomed holes, so would I need a different type of tap, instead of the normal tapered ones?
I think it would be best to chase that stuff out of there before proceeding.

LanceS4803

Heat, acetone and a straight pin got it out of all the holes.
The red loctite never melted, but stayed dry. Just got brittle enough to break out in small chunks.

ROVERBOY

At work we get parts off some of the production lines that have broke screws and bolts that are locktite in. Red too. We usually heat with a propane torch.

LanceS4803

I got it all cleaned up and had my Leupold parts ready to install, and the darned rings are too short!!
And I used Leupold's website to input the rifle and Leupold scope into their parts finder where they pick the bases and rings that fit.

Anyway, the newer Leupold base and ring screws have a blue loctite type substance pre-installed. Directions said to add nothing additional, simply torque to specs.

Latest posts