Recommendations on Shotgun

htnseymour

I am looking for a good shotgun for turkey/possible bird hunts. I know Remington 870 Express seems to be the standard, but does anyone have any ideas?

Nhill

How much $$$ do you want to spend?

If I were getting a dedicated turkey shotgun, I might look at a Mossberg 835. If you want something to take dove hunting too, I would get something with a 3" chamber instead of 3.5".

htnseymour

It's going to be my christmas present from my folks. It doesn't have to be strictly turkey either because I will definitely want to use it for dove or quail.

REN

do you want an auto or pump? what price range you looking at?

price not an issue i would get a Super Black Eagle2 or Beretta A400.

next tier id go with a Browning Maxis or Silver or a Remington Versa Max

if you want to stay under $700 then a Stoeger 3500 or Remington 1187

if you want to stay under $500 then a Stoeger M3000

in the pump world the only one i would personally own is a Browning or 870.

htnseymour

Thanks, that gives me lot's to think about before making my decision. Probably will stay in the under $500 range since this is a Christmas present. I was thinking about a pump Browning or the 870 express supermag.

infoman jr.

htnseymour said:
Thanks, that gives me lot's to think about before making my decision. Probably will stay in the under $500 range since this is a Christmas present. I was thinking about a pump Browning or the 870 express supermag.
I have both an 870 super mag and a BPS. Both are good guns. Two things I don't like about the BPS: You have to flip the gun completely over to see if a round is chambered (during duck and dove hunting mostly), and the safety is on top (a personal thing).

I have a Mossberg 835 and 935 (both camo) for sale if you decide to go that route. Either can be had within your budget. PM me if interested. I'll be in Morristown around Christmas.

REN

the only issue with the 835 and 935 series is they are overbored and normally have issues with light loads making Dove or Quail hunting frustrating.

if you really look around you can find a Stoeger M3000 or M2000 for under $500 which are both awesome guns for the money, you may even be able to find an 1187.

I personally am not a pump man anymore but like i said id get an 870 if I ever own another one (have had 3 of them)

jmb4wd

REN said:
just for example this one would be under $500 after shipping and transfer. heck of a deal, i have used the M2000 for 5 years of turkey hunting and duck hunting and it has not had any issues. I added the 3500 to the collection 2 years ago as well.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =319936873

Man, that is a heck of a deal!!! Might have to go that route myself, save some money for other junk!!

infoman jr.

jmb4wd said:
REN said:
just for example this one would be under $500 after shipping and transfer. heck of a deal, i have used the M2000 for 5 years of turkey hunting and duck hunting and it has not had any issues. I added the 3500 to the collection 2 years ago as well.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =319936873

Man, that is a heck of a deal!!! Might have to go that route myself, save some money for other junk!!
Unless I'm mistaken, that shotgun is 3" only.

REN

oh it will cycle 2 3/4 no problem....the 2000 had issues in the older versions of cycling light loads but all ones made within the past 5 years are fine.

The 2000 also DOES have a break in procedure unlike the 3500 so if you just do what they recommend you should not have a problem.

again, mine has had zero issues using 1oz shot all the way to 3" mag hevi shot turkey loads.

infoman jr.

Na it was an import of some kind. I remember it from a field test, but it's been a couple years. And if a pump gun won't cycle 2 3/4" shells, you've got a problem!

Latest posts