Recommendations on scope upgrade

HuntingDicksonDTC

R.I.P.
Thinking outloud here.Going to install a new laminate stock on my 7mm mag. Bought a .308 a few days ago thought i would take the Swift 4x12x40 scope off the 7 mag & install it on the .308 plan on taking the 7 mag on a mule deer hunt so might be a good time to put a better glass on the gun. Any recommendations on a new glass to top this gun off with?

JimFromTN

Depends on how much money you want to spend. Not to go against the grain but check out Nikon Monarch 2.5-10x42. If you have the money, the gold series is excellent. I have one. There is one on the classifieds here for $350 which is a great price. I have the same scope. You can get the best price for the regular monarch on ebay for around $300. Also look at the Bushnell elite 4200 series. The 3-9x40 is suppose to be the best bang for the buck but they discontinued it and replaced it with with the 2.5-10x40 which is a great scope also. You can still find the 3x9 but you have you look.

skynimrod

mr.big said:
for deer hunting in middle to east Tn you cant beat the 3-9x40 Conquest,,west of the Tn river I might go 4.5-14

I'm leaning towards the Zeiss Con 3x9 for the glass on my newly built 338-06. I'v been a Leopold man pretty much thus far. The Lupey's are a little hard to turn the power range up and down.

For the $200 range glass I like the Nikon on by blackpowder rifle

Model70Man

Once you go Zeiss, you never go back. Or at least I haven't. I've had other scopes, but the quality you get with the Zeiss is unmatched by any other scope manufacturer out there for the money...especially when you buy your scope(s) from Doug at Cameraland.

HuntingDicksonDTC

R.I.P.
Model70Man said:
Once you go Zeiss, you never go back. especially when you buy your scope(s) from Doug at Cameraland.

is that website cameralandny.com? if so i went there last night & was looking at the ones he carries. did you buy the conquest? if so which one.

HuntingDicksonDTC

R.I.P.
JimFromTN said:
Depends on how much money you want to spend. There is one on the classifieds here for $350 which is a great price.

want to keep it around $500 give or take a little - sent a couple pm's about the nikon monarch gold in the classifieds but did not hear back from him & now see its sold.

TiminTN

2 words, Zeiss Conquest.

2nd choice, Nikon Monarch, not the Gold series but the new Monarch.

They also are the only thing can compare to the Zeiss. They now have a large ocular like the Zeiss, must be something to it for sure.

3rd choice 4200 Bushnell.

I would choose any of these over the Leupold. I cannot believe that I now feel this way, but my eyes don`t lie.

remington

Another nod for the Zeiss Conquest.
If your not looking to spend a fortune or for very large magnification I would recommend the Sightron SII 3x9x42 also. It's alot of scope for the money. Usually just about any Nikon or Leupold will do the trick too.

Model70Man

HuntingDicksonDTC said:
Model70Man said:
Once you go Zeiss, you never go back. especially when you buy your scope(s) from Doug at Cameraland.

is that website cameralandny.com? if so i went there last night & was looking at the ones he carries. did you buy the conquest? if so which one.

I have bought numerous scopes from Doug. I bought the Conquests 1.8-5.5x38, 2.5-8x32, 3-9x40, and the 4.5-14x44. IMO, the 2.5-8x32 is the best scope of the bunch. It's lighter, surprisingly brighter than the 3-9 and the 4.5-14, and can sit lower on the receiver. I have bought the DEMO models from him. There are absolutely nothing wrong with the scopes. If something goes wrong with the scope, let them know and they will take care of you. Best customer service I've ever seen.

Latest posts