• Help Support TNDeer:

Reassembled tail fan

catman529

Cut off the tail feathers and the smaller brown ones in front, and removed a small piece of skin with the shiny hackle feathers on it and dried that with borax. But the rest of the feathers didn't need borax cause I just cut them off. Hot glued onto small pieces of cardboard and all 3 layers glued together. This will go on the beard board that I am working on.

B838A119-DB3C-4A91-9712-4910BF8AC252-34198-00003B7E56D2436E_zpsce59bc82.jpg

Gravey said:
You lost me with gluing three layers to cardboard. What needed gluing? Borax will dry it out stiff and no need to glue anything on the fan. Maybe I just missed something. Looks good either way.
I cut the feathers off at the base and glued the feathers onto cardboard at the base. There were 3 layers of feathers, 2 glued to cardboard and 1 still attached to the skin (dried out). Glued all 3 layers together.

catman529 said:
Gravey said:
You lost me with gluing three layers to cardboard. What needed gluing? Borax will dry it out stiff and no need to glue anything on the fan. Maybe I just missed something. Looks good either way.
I cut the feathers off at the base and glued the feathers onto cardboard at the base. There were 3 layers of feathers, 2 glued to cardboard and 1 still attached to the skin (dried out). Glued all 3 layers together.

Looks good Catman. I get cardboard as well, but I spread the fan, then just use push pens into the cardboard to where the fan can't fold back together. Salt and give time to dry. Good looking fan

catman529 said:
Gravey said:
Do you leave the cardboard on it after it dries out? I have a board with 2 nails in it and I just put the fan on it and the nails keep it open. Pour borax on it and leave for a week. Flip the fan over and repeat.

JCDEERMAN said:
catman529 said:
Gravey said:

Looks good Catman. I get cardboard as well, but I spread the fan, then just use push pens into the cardboard to where the fan can't fold back together. Salt and give time to dry. Good looking fan
that's how I normally do it, but this way was quicker (doesn't take a week to dry) and I can arrange the feathers just how I like them.

Gravey said:
catman529 said:
Gravey said:
Do you leave the cardboard on it after it dries out? I have a board with 2 nails in it and I just put the fan on it and the nails keep it open. Pour borax on it and leave for a week. Flip the fan over and repeat.
no the feathers are glued to the cardboard, if I removed it then the fan would fall apart. This isn't like usual where you just salt and dry the fan. I am actually removing most of the fleshy part (the base of the tail) and the only skin that has to be dried is the little bit of skin with those shiny hackle feathers attached (only took a sunny afternoon for that to dry with borax) the big feathers are cut off at the base and glued onto the cardboard which holds the shape of the fan.

catman529 said:
Gravey said:
catman529 said:
Gravey said:
no the feathers are glued to the cardboard, if I removed it then the fan would fall apart. This isn't like usual where you just salt and dry the fan. I am actually removing most of the fleshy part (the base of the tail) and the only skin that has to be dried is the little bit of skin with those shiny hackle feathers attached (only took a sunny afternoon for that to dry with borax) the big feathers are cut off at the base and glued onto the cardboard which holds the shape of the fan.
Gotcha :)

Latest posts

Back