Reason for dropping draw weight?

TNhuntin93

Hey guys I just had my bowstring tightened and the draw weight brought up a bit. But after getting home and about a week of shooting I can fell that there is less draw weight again. What is the reason for this and is there anything I can do to fix it or stop it??

Keep in mind that I am somewhat new to archery, I bought my bow last December, so if this is just common in bows excuse my lack of knowledge.

bucks2beards

The next time you buy strings and cables I would invest in a high quality set like "Winners Choice" they will help eliminate the string stretch you are getting.

Toxophilite Phil

I do suggest buying quality strings and cables. But string stretch isn't causing you to lose draw weight. When strings stretch you actually gain weight. The longer length makes the draw cycle longer which in return makes the draw weight increase. If in fact it is losing draw weight check the limb bolts. Could be they are backing out with more frequent shooting. If you don't have a set of bow scales, take the bow to a pro shop. Check the draw weight. Put the d.w. back to where you want it. Take some white out and make some marks on the bolt and on the limb, not on the washer under the bolt as this thing can turn independent of the bolt. This will tell you if the bolt is moving.While you are there ask the pro to check and set timing on your cam/cams.Also check the brace height, doesn't matter if it is a single cam ,brace height is to be checked. If it is a single cam get a long piece of dental floss, long enough o go from axle to axle. Wrap one end around the axle and stretch the string out and secure the other end of floss around that axle. Now measure brace height. Should be really close to even. But my thinking is telling you don't have a problem but are building yourself up to handle the weight better. Which is a good thing.

TNhuntin93

Phil- Thanks alot for that info, it should definitely help out.

And my muscles may have gotten stronger, I though about that, hopefully thats what it is. When do I need to buy new strings and cables?

Radar

It depends on how much you shoot . Buy new strings and cables when they show signs of wear , such as broken strands , etc. , or if they are stretched too much to get the bow back in spec. by twisting them .
Keeping your string and cables waxed extends the life of both .

Latest posts