Random deer vision thought

hard county

Best/most common color for hunting deer? Brown.
Worst color? Blue.
Color we can see well but they can't? Orange.
Color you get when you mix Blue and Orange? Brown.

So, if an object is absorbing red and yellow light and reflecting blue light (what happens when we wear blue) it glows blue to a deer.
If it is reflecting red and yellow and absorbing blue light (what happens when we wear blaze) it's the absence of color.

If deer see blue and they don't see yellow or red; then doesn't brown and everything including dirt, trees, and brown leaves just look blue?

If that is the case, that deer only really see shades of blue, then isn't blaze (the absence of blue) the thing that would stick out most?

For instance, when humans are in the arctic, black is the absence of any color we can see, we can see white (as illustrated by a pinwheel, the reflection of all the colors we can see), black really sticks out when it's surrounded by white.

Why is blaze - the lack of blue in a sea of blue - better than blue?

Mike Belt

The difference in rods and cones in the make up of the eyes. I really think you could wear anything as long as you remained motionless. Deer see movement and the colors that they are able to see detect movement that much easier.

hard county

I definitely agree about remaining motionless. I even look for clothes that are stiff or are heavy enough that I don't think will "ripple" in an unnatural way when the wind blows.

Since I created this post I looked further into it. Apparently deer see something between green and red as the other half of their dichromatic vision. More confusion for me because green and red contain every color in the spectrum....

I just don't get it. It seems like if deer just saw a shorter spectrum of colors on the red and yellow end we could use old school 3d glasses with red and yellow lenses to see what a deer sees- barring uv which we will never see.

My guess is the actual answer could fill a textbook and the pat line of "they can't see orange but they see blue" is a way to get hunters to wear blaze, and I don't doubt that blaze is more invisible than blue somehow, but the simple "they can't see orange" has to be at least a very incomplete answer.

Well, that does it. I think the only way I'm going to be satisfied is if i train a deer to take a color blind test. I'll post back here once Bucky starts earning his keep.
Mike Belt":abv7pech said:
The difference in rods and cones in the make up of the eyes. I really think you could wear anything as long as you remained motionless. Deer see movement and the colors that they are able to see detect movement that much easier.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

TDW05

2-Step Enabled
:eek: :eek: :shock:......my head hurts lol but I've always heard it's mostly outlines that get you busted the most.

MUP

I agree with Mike's statement about movement, but I'll add that deer also see dark "blobs", as in a hunter up in a treestand, against the bright/light sky. I've seen deer coming from below me up a ridge, stop and look from 50-60 yds away, as I'm skylined up in the tree, then skirt around me by that distance, and continue on behind me. No scent detected as the wind was in my favor. They're keen but they're keen I'm saying. This was an old lead doe btw. :)

Mr_TTT2

Good article about deer vision. Basically when we move, our movement will be detected across their eyes. However, if you move very slow they won't detect it as much. Gotten busted 15 feet up, swinging gun fast to get deer in shot. Also, was 10 feet from deer on ground in open woods and froze (no blinking) and deer didn't see me. Inch or so per second has worked for me.

https://www.bowhunting.net/2013/02/dissect-a-deer-eye/

(warning has pictures if you get grossed out)

hard county

Interesting, thanks.
Mr_TTT2":s39e31bv said:
Good article about deer vision. Basically when we move, our movement will be detected across their eyes. However, if you move very slow they won't detect it as much. Gotten busted 15 feet up, swinging gun fast to get deer in shot. Also, was 10 feet from deer on ground in open woods and froze (no blinking) and deer didn't see me. Inch or so per second has worked for me.

https://www.bowhunting.net/2013/02/dissect-a-deer-eye/

(warning has pictures if you get grossed out)

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Latest posts