Rainy campouts

moondawg

I'm sure you've had at least ONE campout where it rained. :D It just would'nt be camping unless it rained...right? :D

One that I remember is when my brother and I went to our annual November camping trip in Arkansas. It was raining on the way up there. I remember seeing several creeks along the way that were pretty high.

Once we got the the campsite, it was like a monsoon. :eek: Rain and wind that would not stop, and it made it tough to set up camp. A few people had arrived a day or two earlier and had the kitchen set up, complete with popup shelters. Pitching a tent was a challenge...we set it up underneath a shelter and then moved it to the spot where you wanted to stake it. There just wasn't anywhere you could go to stay dry. My generic "waterproof" boots were SOAKED. There was a LOT of grumbling that evening...everyone went to bed early.

It was dry in my tent for the most part. A little rain got in as I got in the tent, but it wasn't bad...it could've been a whole lot worse. I remember the wind was awful, I thought the tent was going to collapse. :eek: I heard stuff being knocked down in the kitchen area due to the wind.

We woke up the next morning and one of the popup shelters had collapsed due the the wind. We set it aside and realized that it was broken. No problem, we'd duct tape it back together. That worked, but it was windy that day, and we watched in disbelief as the shelter frame rolling away like a tumbleweed in the wind. That damaged it even more. We just set it up in the middle of the campground and used it to dry our drenched clothes from the night before.

Other than that, the rest of the trip was nice and sunny.

citico_tim

Possible flash floods in the mountains are something you had better respect. Many years ago I took a 4 day 3 night trip into the Slickrock - Joyce Kilmer wilderness area. It started raining as soon as I closed the car door and headed off. It rained almost continuously for the next 4 days and really broke open as I was driving home. Over the next 24 hours the almost the entire road along Citico Creek in Tellico, including a campground washed away. The amount of water that had to come down that valley to even cover the road is unbelievable. The same thing has happened to the Little River Road between Gatlinburg and Townsend at least a couple of times in my memory.

On one occasion I was so concerned about rising water that I packed up and left in the middle of the night.

DEER DAVID

Have been soaked many times..........but with proper equipment, you can keep your camp dry.
It's called......."Tarp City".

stik

are there any other kind?
once when camped in hickman county at ugly creek, it rained for 5 straight days. the roads washed out. the bridges washed out.we were pushing water up to the headlights on my buddy's truck.

i'm with deer david. tarps are wonderful things.

Latest posts