Rainbow or Brook Trout

mike243

caught this this morning & never seen a rainbow spotted up this shade,not sure after I turned it back if it was a rainbow or not,let me know what you think,it was a little over 16"
clinchtrout_zpsc64722b1.jpg

mike243

Yep & thanks,went & looked at some other pictures,have caught longer ones there but the color was washed out & the jaws were not as hooked,Lot of fun watching it swin off no worse off than before I caught it lol

7mm08

No question .......rainbow

Out of the Clinch? Some say there are no native fish on the Clinch , others say there are some. Personally I doubt it.

Nice bow however.

Model70Man

I have a picture of the Brook trout you caught when you floated the Clinch with me. I will post it up if you want. It was the first year they released them into the Clinch.

jakeway

My go-to characteristic to look for is a Brook has a dark background with light squiggly markings, while a Rainbow has lighter background with fearless round spots. Your fish is darker than most rainbows, but it's sides are definitely lighter than the spots. Rainbows darken up quite a bit when they turn into Steelheads after moving into the rivers from the big lakes or ocean.

gil1

Beautiful rainbow. Sometimes they're just all gussied up like that.

Here's a pretty one I caught on the Watauga a few years ago.

3.jpg

mike243

Model70Man yes thanks,loved the colors on it,it was above the weir dam.Been a long time since I fished the clinch this time of year but the colors were just awesome,no other folks fishing other than 1 guy piddling with a fly rod 50y up the creek.

CountryBoy053

Very nice mike, and that is a heck of a brookie as well!
I gotta get back up there and fish the clinch soon. And try my hand at piddling with my new fly rods.

Model70Man

Here is your Brook Trout that you caught that day Mike. Those Brook trout were introduced into the Clinch earlier that year. That was a very memorable float. That was when Gramps came down to float the river with us. I'll never forget it. Had a great time.

tndeerclinch005.jpg

mike243

Thanks,we caught 1 of every thing that day,wont never forget either,never met a member that I didn't like & hope the trend continues lol

Latest posts