Raccoon Recipes

TX300mag

My oldest son is interested in trapping, so I bought him a Duke DP coon trap for Christmas. Works pretty well, so we have raccoon to eat.

I haven't eaten it in several years, but everyone says it's greasy and tastes wild. That's not my experience at all. As a matter of fact, it's almost identical in taste and texture to venison when cooked in a pressure cooker. It makes me wonder if maybe people don't always do a thorough job of removing the glands?

Last night was raccoon with turnips from the garden, daikon radishes from a food plot, greens from both, and a few sweet potatoes mixed in.

Not that it needs it, but I think I'll brine the next one and add some hardwood smoke.

Do any of you have any particular recipe you like?

WTM

i always just pressure cooked them, sauce them and put them ina smoker for a bit.

coon is pretty good. possum is greasy and ground hog is even greasier lol.

WTM

TX300mag":2r71vmy9 said:
DaveB":2r71vmy9 said:
Dumb question, hows the daikon taste? They keep pretty good?

Very mild version of a turnip-delicious! I would imagine they would keep pretty well, but I've only eaten them immediately after pulling.

i pickle them. they are great. slice them in strips and little larger than julianne cut.

Crosshairy

My cousin barbecued one once that I thought tasted great. I'm not sure if he smoked it, then finished it in foil, or just cooked it in foil with sauce the whole time (it's been a long while). Either way, that method is high on the list for me.

My mom tried doing something fancy with one once and cooked it with pineapples "Hawaiian style" in an open pan. I honestly didn't care for that at all, but I must confess that I'm not crazy about cooked pineapples anyway.

old guy

Pressure cook it till the meat is tender but will stay on the bone somewhat. Place in oven with plenty of BBQ sauce and bake while basting it every 5 minutes. about 15 to twenty minutes , enjoy it with your favorite veggies , a big glass of sweet tea & some home made biscuits .........

AT Hiker

Raccoon foodplot dish! Sounds yummy!
We always smoke our raccoons along with muskrat and beaver, all taste very similar to me...the heavy smoke mask whatever that are supposed to really taste like. I need to try the pressure cooker method .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WTM

AT Hiker":1s81si8j said:
Raccoon foodplot dish! Sounds yummy!
We always smoke our raccoons along with muskrat and beaver, all taste very similar to me...the heavy smoke mask whatever that are supposed to really taste like. I need to try the pressure cooker method .

beaver doesnt need any masking. taste like a cross between pork and beef.

X-Tennessean

As mentioned pressure cook or par boil then pull off bone, place in oven dish with BBQ sauce, onions, thinly sliced Idaho and sweet potatoes!!
Cover with foil and cook until taters are tender :)

TX300mag

Barbacoa here at work last night. I fed all eight of us-everyone really liked it-including some people who I would have NEVER thought would eat it.

Very simple garlic, salt, onion powder for the meat. 25 mins in pressure cooker.

Served with homemade tortillas, borracho beans, cilantro, onion, jalepeno, etc.

Medium sized boar. Nothing left but a pile of bones.

8720317a46df5705818b4a75ddb8830a.jpg

Latest posts