quick and easy plot

VOLDEERHUNTER31

Is there a quick plot that i can do? This would be my first one and i dont have no far equipment but a small airater i know that aint how you spell it but anyways i got a spot and just something that i could throw down without having to do all the tilling and stuff like that. if not o well but just wonderin.

hambone

Winter wheat and rape are small seeds that you can put out before a rain. Just clear the ground and rip it up as best as possible

7mm08

If you have turkeys in the area, I would forget the wheat, otherwise a great idea. I tried a "no till" combo on a small plot and I was dissapointed.

I got some alfalfa coming up now after the past rain on another plot with more grooming that the turkeys tore up originally. Very tiny seeds so that my spring dinners will not see them. What about turnips? So far my austrian peas, wheat, turnips, chickory, and buckwheat are doing great, but again the turkeys did a number on the wheat, and peas.

BSK

VOLDEERHUNTER31 said:
Is there a quick plot that i can do? This would be my first one and i dont have no far equipment but a small airater i know that aint how you spell it but anyways i got a spot and just something that i could throw down without having to do all the tilling and stuff like that. if not o well but just wonderin.

I have no Ag equipment either VOLDEERHUNTER31, yet I can produce decent plots. I mow the area as tight to the ground as possible with a pull-behind ATV mower, then I spray the area with Round-up using an ATV boom-sprayer. I then broadcast the seed right on top the ground just before a rain. However, using this mow-spray-broadcast technique, small-seeded plants are required. Cereal grains (wheat/oats) would be the largest seed I would use and expect good germination. Other small-seed plants that work well are clovers and rape. You will also want to spread 50% more seed than what is recommended for normal planting, to compensate for lower germination rates.

Here's one of my plots. The plot is only 15 yards wide, but it's 150 yards long. That's my ATV parked half-way up the plot for size reference. The plot is wheat, clover and buckwheat.

SouthClearCut.jpg

Boone 58

You cant beat wheat but make sure you put it out just before rainfall and it will germinate in about 2 to 3 days this time of year!

BigGame

The winter rye does grow good but judgeing from my food plot pics the deer use it very little. I dont know why it looks lush and green even in the winter, maybe because of mast crops the last couple of years. The last couple of weeks the deer have mowed down the clover and chickory plots but havent touched the rye plot.

Latest posts