Questions about making a duck hunting spot

Don Cornelius

I just purchased some property that has a creek bottom on it. It borders a federal refuge. The creek has water in it year around, it dumps into the river that supplies the refuge. What or who do I need to ask about building a levee for ducks? There's not a million ducks on it, but could shoot several and it does have water. I'm not a duck hunter, but would like to try it. Thanks in advance for the advice.

rukiddin

NRCS or Ducks Unlimited. They may help with funding or building or both. All depends on the quality of the land. Don't quote me on this, but I think with the NRCS, you have to have ownership of the property for 7 years (???) before receiving any kind of payments.

Grizzly Johnson

First thing is get in touch with the state and get the proper permits. Find out what you can and cannot do BEFORE you start digging.

I know a tattle-tail that tried to get some folks in trouble for fixing a duckhole, he wound up owing the state of tn 52 acres because he done some "cleaning" of his property, next door to the duck property, for his cattle. You can't just alter a creek flow as you want, must be approved by the state...... just ask Sterlin Marlin....

The people he tattled on had to do some modifications to their property "creating a duckhole", but the state eventually ok'ed it and all is good now.

Latest posts