Questions about land management

Lucky

We own 204 acres. There is no hunting on 2 sides of our property and limited on the other 2. We killed no bucks last year and a 2.5 yr old nice racked 9 point the year before. We farm about 30 acres and the rest is primarily wooded with broken open spaces across rolling hills and 1 tall ridgeline. We have a majority of hardwood but about 20 acres is covered in cedars, mock orange etc. We have done fall green fields only and this year they are pitiful. With all that background here is my question: Is this tract of land just too small to worry about QDM or serious management? When I read on the topic it just seems that they are always talking about a lot more land. On the other hand I just feel we could do more than simple green fields (although I have followed the planting ideas so often posted on this site). My dad raised me a wingshooter and I am just trying to learn more about handling the land for deerhunting. Any comments or responses from the experts would be greatly appreciated.

Coach B

You can enjoy the benefits of QDM on much smaller acreages than that. You do need to have realistic expectations.

I have 107 acres. We are bordered by three other properties. No hunting on one, moderate pressure on one, and heavy pressure on the other. I manage for age 2.5+ bucks. We have killed 7 bucks that meet our criteria in the last 5 years. It can be done.

deerchaser007

All i have is 85 acres. BUT,.. getting the neighbors invoved has helped my situation by far. BUT,.. i manage my farm differently because i own the land and the others lease property except for 1 other guy. BUT,.. we all pass up yearling bucks and we all take does.

To answer your question,. yes ,QDM will work for you. And will work better the more folks around you practice it also. BUT remember,. QDM is not trophy deer management. Don't expect mature bucks(4.5 and older) around every tree. Keep your goals very realistic. And you can improve as the years go by.

Hope that answers your question!!

Crosshairy

I would imagine that you could increase your results if you designated certain sections of your property as "sanctuaries" during the hunting seasons to draw and protect deer on your place from the other pressured areas.

Also, I would imagine that the unhunted properties adjoining yours are not being managed for game, so you can boost your odds of pulling deer from there by creating reliable food sources. I don't know what those properties have to offer, but perhaps that's a workable plan as well.

ferg

For sure it can work - I know guys that have 80's and 120's that are having moderate success - but they have limited expectation also - but getting neighbors involved is a great way to start a QDM Co-Op - they are big in areas where there aren't many larg parcels of land left - and others have been chunked up into 20, 40 and 80 plus parcels -

ferg....

Lucky

Thanks guys. You are right about the expectations. Mine are pretty low this year becasue of our poor green fields (drought killin me). We have tried to set off certain areas for sanctuaries, usually the thickest areas with the most evergreens remain undisturbed and we hunt the numerous trails going in/out. My wife loves to hunt a ridge that borders a bedding area and it has the most activity. Thanks again for the responses

deerchaser007

Don't let them burn up plots and fields get you down,.. most all of us suffered also. I know i did,... i didn't get but around 30 - 40 percent of my plots to germinate and grow to maturity. Tuff year with the drought!!

BSK

I agree with all of the above. With the limited hunting on surrounding properties, and with realistic expectations, you bet you can see results of 200 acres. As others pointed out, don't expect to produce mature bucks (unless you get your neighbors involved). But "going it alone" 3 1/2 year-old bucks are a very realistic possibility.

Latest posts