Question on DP

deerfever

I am new to trapping and had a question. I run Dukes and caught several coons the last two years . I use mini marshmallows , just put some on the ground then load the trap. Here is my question, I have noticed something getting the Marshmallows , even the ones in the trap except the ones below the pull trigger. What would this be? It's almost like it's smart enough to avoid the ones that would pull the trigger? I thought about setting up a camera but just wondering if anyone had this happen or had a thought on what might be cleaning me out down to the trigger? Thanks

deerfever

I have caught several mice and tweety bird once. Possibly one of those. Typically when it is picked clean, I have found it to be beetles
That is what's strange it just leaves 3 or 4 marshmallows that would make the trap go off. Found two of my traps that way this morning when I checked them.

Last edited:

JCDEERMAN

That is what's strange it just leaves 3 or 4 marshmallows that would make the trap go off. Found two of my traps that way this morning whan I checked them.
My guess is a tweety bird. Anything with a paw will grab and get caught. I'd say a bird got down as far as it could go with its beak. The one I caught must have grabbed the trigger, as he was face-down in it dead 🤣. I just remember looking at it thinking, "man, that's a terrible way to go"

Shanman

I use to have mice and birds clean them out, but they never left any in the trap. So I switched up and started putting the large mellows below the trigger and rest on top and around the trap. Still odd they leave what's bellow your trigger. Could be a cat or grey fox, they scoop out the bait instead of grabbing it. If so, they probably hit the trigger with their paw and refuse to go below it. Try a big mellow below the trigger and nothing else, atleast at the sets they are already visiting. Never used the golf ball trick, but that's a fantastic idea. 👍

deerfever

I left both traps as is and went back this morning hoping whatever would be hungry and have to reach on in to eat, but nothing. I left them and will run again before Church .I May re bait and hang a camera if I have nothing again. Thanks for all the insight and advice. I am very curious to figure out what's doing it.

deerfever

Plan worked had one reach in for the remainder at one trap, the other trap was the same . I have re baited and I will hang a camera when I get back to see what might be getting the bait and leaving the last few. I only put out 3 or 4 on the ground. I have no clue what some of these racoons are eating but they are healthy to say the least. Hopefully saving some turkeys in the future!

drake799

I personally watched a coon take all the marshmallows out of a trap without setting it off and simply walk off lol. Trap was set in my yard and coon came during broad daylight.

JCDEERMAN

I personally watched a coon take all the marshmallows out of a trap without setting it off and simply walk off lol. Trap was set in my yard and coon came during broad daylight.
They can be tricksters. I had 3 freshly cleaned traps this morning that I loaded up Saturday afternoon. They hadn't been set off. Thought about setting a camera up over a few just to see what it was that cleaned it

Remington700

They can be tricksters. I had 3 freshly cleaned traps this morning that I loaded up Saturday afternoon. They hadn't been set off. Thought about setting a camera up over a few just to see what it was that cleaned it
Mice and birds will clean them out. That's why some people put golf balls on top. A coon will knock it off to get inside.

hammer33

I use those cheap paper cups that go on water dispensers. Bait trap, sprinkle a little extra around and put cup over the trap. Coons and possums will knock the cup off. Cheap, fast, biodegradable.

JCDEERMAN

Definitely can and will catch skunks in them too.. I always knew that, but confirmed it when I had a skunk back to back nights 🥴
Skunks seem to like sweets. I definitely get the pucker factor when I get too close to them without seeing them. I actually hate when they're in the traps. Even when shot, I'll go check other traps just to give him extra time 🤣. Just being around them I can smell myself for days