Question for the muzzleloaders crowd

Kimber45

I always loved taking a deer with my TC Renegade, or my TC Hawken.. many were taken with a patch/roundball. Given I just never got into the bow hunting, ML was my preferred "primitive hunt" so to speak. I recently acquired a mint IAB .54 caliber 1863 Sharps, breech load. Really would like to take a deer with it this year, but given the IAB are one of the few you can "supposedly"/normally shoot loose powder in (according to what I've read anyway), and the fact that I've get to master these hand rolled paper/powder/bullet loads, I'm thinking this may be more of a stretch than I want to take on. Anyone else ever used one for deer?

Rancocas

I always loved taking a deer with my TC Renegade, or my TC Hawken.. many were taken with a patch/roundball. Given I just never got into the bow hunting, ML was my preferred "primitive hunt" so to speak. I recently acquired a mint IAB .54 caliber 1863 Sharps, breech load. Really would like to take a deer with it this year, but given the IAB are one of the few you can "supposedly"/normally shoot loose powder in (according to what I've read anyway), and the fact that I've get to master these hand rolled paper/powder/bullet loads, I'm thinking this may be more of a stretch than I want to take on. Anyone else ever used one for deer?

It should work just fine for deer. A friend of mine has a Smith carbine that he sometimes loads with loose powder. It works fine. Don't know about the Sharps.

Just remember, it is a breech loader - not a muzzleloader, and cannot be used during muzzleloader only seasons.